LG 23" Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anzio, Nov 22, 2011.

1. anzio macrumors 6502

Hey there, I'm in the market for a new monitor. This is my first monitor for my MacBook Pro.

The Apple Thunderbolt is a little too big for my taste, though I love the looks of it. However, I did find one http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=a74f2ea6d9d90acf42cf83be5082d264en02 .

I was wondering if it's decent enough to use for basic usage (programming, video editing, etc) and SOME games (like World of Warcraft or CoD) every now and then? It has a 6ms response time, which I've heard good, and bad things about. I heard LED produces a much more vivid/bright, and clear image which I would love.

In addition, when plugging my MacBook Pro into my Plasma/LCD TVs that I have, I get a black box surrounding it. I'm assuming this is because I'm using HDMI, which means I won't get this issue if I use DVI (correct?).

Many thanks!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I believe that black box around your image when connected to your TV is due to overscan. I have to turn overscan off on my TV set in order to expand the image to the edges. I'm not sure if your TV has that option, but if it does, turn it off when connecting to your computer.

That said, monitors are designed for computers and should not have overscan enabled (if it is even an option). So if you connect your computer to the new monitor with HDMI, you shouldn't get that black box. Regardless of how you connect it (DVI or HDMI), they're both digital signals so you'll get the best results. One advantage HDMI has over DVI is the ability to also carry an audio signal (if your monitor has speakers).

3. anzio, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

anzio thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh. That makes sense. I'll look for that option. Thanks for the reply

As far as 6ms response time goes, will I still be able to casually play things like MW3, or World of Warcraft (will be playing the latter more often). Keep in mind, I really don't care for a small fps difference, but at the same time don't want the experience to be totally horrible.

As well, will LED produce a crisp, sharp, clear image?

EDIT: Now considering http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236112 instead.

4. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Yes, LED should have a more crisp image, but it is mainly to create more vibrant colors I believe

5. anzio thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! That's what I was looking for. Thanks so much guys :). Going to go take a look at the E2360 from LG in the store and check it out.

6. visim91 macrumors 6502

Great choice. I too just purchased my first monitor, also for my MacBook. 24" and LED.

You're right - the 27" is glorious, but a tad bit too big for my tastes and space.

Brings me to wonder when or if Apple will re-introduce the mid-sized monitor again. Though, I can see why they would choose not to.