LG 27 UD 68 Monitor and MBP 2016

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by foulmouthedleon, Oct 31, 2016.

1. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

OK, probably a stupid question here, but I got a LG 27UD68 monitor to go along with my 2016 MBP (no touch bar version). Got it hooked up, but it's displaying at 30hz and it's a bit choppy.

It's connected via the USB-C adapter and a high speed HDMI cable. I can't seem to get the option to change the refresh rate in Display.

Any ideas? I have to assume that this is possible via standard OS X controls and I won't need a third party app to make this work.

2. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Yes, I saw that, but this is for the brand new MBP that came out last week. That appears to be the regular MacBook. I would assume that if the retina MBP 13" from 2015 did this, so too would this.

3. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Anyone on this? I find it very difficult to believe that a new late 2016 MacBook Pro and a new LG 4K monitor won't put out a 60hz signal. I'm stuck on 30hz...

4. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

Is it possible that the USB C to HDMI adapter don't support HDMI 2.0? I know that HDMI 2.0 is required to support 4K at 60Hz. According to the monitor's manual. 4K 60hz is only supported when 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour' is turned on.

5. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I think Supermariofan25 is correct...

To rule out misunderstandings, you mean Apple's own USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter?

In the overview on that page, it says: This adapter allows you to mirror your MacBook or MacBook Pro display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p at 60Hz or UHD (3840 by 2160) at 30Hz.

Perhaps you need something like this one:
    Accell USB-C to HDMI 2.0 Adapter
    Quote: "The USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter supports HD resolutions of up to 4K @ 60Hz"