Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Sale ended!

http://www.frys.com/product/8805182

This sale is for in-store purchase only during 8/7-8/13/16. They pay your sales tax too so it's $588 + any recycling fee ($4 in CA). Offer not valid in Indiana, Illinois, and Oregon.

See ad here: http://www.frys.com/ads/page63#AdNavi

I got this monitor last Sat for $599 w/ no tax so it's time to drop by for price adjustment. Very nice monitor and the USB-C connection works well with the rMB. Personally, I have no issues running 4K or 1080 HiDPI mode @ 30Hz.

Last edited:

doboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I found this monitor almost unusable at 30Hz due to the lag FWIW.
Am I just blind cause I don't really notice any lags, at least not to the extent to make it unusable for me. Who knows I may find it unbearable down the line.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks, I'm aware of that. I don't want to do it without knowing the side effects (if any) and I'm fine with 30Hz since I don't really use the monitor for gaming.
this is just a software patch which can be unpatched. the only side effect is the USB 3.0 becomes 2.0 since the bandwidth is being utilized for 4K @ 60hz.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
this is just a software patch which can be unpatched. the only side effect is the USB 3.0 becomes 2.0 since the bandwidth is being utilized for 4K @ 60hz.
Yeah I understand the patch. The USB speed is already reduced (even w/o the 60 HZ patch) when I use the USB ports on the back of this monitor anyways so no harm there. 9to5Mac review mentions that.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Sorry to thread jack but i'm interested in this monitor to use as a second monitor with my mac pro (i don't need the USB C) LG says it has split screen 2.0. What is this exactly and how does it work? I want to use it a second monitor and then also plug in my cable box via HDMI and have it displayed on the screen along with the second screen from my mac pro. Will it work? Also since there are no speakers could I hook up speakers to it to get audio from the HDMI/cablebox feed?

How is this different then the 27UD68-W?

Thanks!

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry to thread jack but i'm interested in this monitor to use as a second monitor with my mac pro (i don't need the USB C) LG says it has split screen 2.0. What is this exactly and how does it work?

The split screen only works with Windows and Mac computers. It allows you to run Windows and Mac simultaneously on half the screen and control both with the same keyboard and mouse. You can switch inputs to watch your HDMI input but you wouldn't be able to use both at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.