LG 29UM65 29" vs apple thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by longthizzz, Jul 9, 2014.

1. longthizzz macrumors regular

I am debating on which to buy , the LG 29UM65 29" or the thunderbolt

the thunderbolt has 27" 2560 x 1440 $1,000 27" IPS with LED backlighting with 8-bit panel.

LG 29UM65 2560 x 1080 $400 21:9 aspect ratio, 8-bit AH-IPS panel, light matte, sRGB 100%

tb has a 2560 x 1440 and the LG has 2560 x 1080 - I have no clue what that means , can someone clarify this for me . also what does the sRGB mean ?

I will be using it for basic web surfing, school work and movie watching ...
    I dont play games nor photoshop stuff like that , so the lag won't bother me .

or is there a diff monitor out there I am missing out on
    any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the 2560x1440 is the resolutions. 2,560 pixels across and 1,440 pixels down.

The LG has less pixels going down, so you're aspect ratio is off a bit. sRGB is the color space

3. longthizzz thread starter macrumors regular

ooo thanks guy , do you think it worth for the things i will be doing

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

What are your goals in seeking a new monitor? Why did you bring up these two options vs. any of the other possible choices?

The two monitors are very different in many ways. The Apple Thunderbolt Display includes a thunderbolt dock, a feature other monitors don't offer (AFAIK). The LG is much more akin to setting up two monitors side by side due to its substantially wider aspect ratio (3" wider and 2" shorter). If you really need the wide / short setup then there aren't many choices. If you need a Thunderbolt dock built into the monitor, again there aren't many choices.

You also need to consider dot pitch / pixels-per-inch in terms of native sizing of the display content. Not so important if you're 20 and have good eyesight, becomes a bit more important if you're a couple decades older.

5. longthizzz thread starter macrumors regular

Goal : just want a external monitor
    Why did it choose them ? I want a thunderbolt but looking for alternatives i saw the 2560X1400 and though it was the same ? I honest have no clue what a monitor is suppose to be or priced at

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Cost wise, good external monitors in the 24 to 27" diagonal sizes can range from a couple hundred dollars to nearly a thousand depending on size and resolution.

To begin with, I wouldn't buy anything without an IPS type display (google/wikipedia for details on what it is and why you want it). You'll be staring at the monitor a lot, and people usually tend to keep monitors a fair while, so don't skimp on image quality.

Next two decision points are screen resolution and screen size. Is a 24" monitor as big as you want, or is a 27" monitor more in line with your needs? If 24" then generally you'll go with 1080p (1920x1080 pixels) and there are a lot of good choices. Do some searches on Newegg.com and read reviews.

If you prefer 27" then you also need to choose between 1920x1080 (1080p) or 2560x1440. The latter tends to be substantially more expensive, but you get more screen real estate and everything appears smaller including text. Make sure you'll be happy with this before buying; this is the size / resolution of the Apple Thunderbolt Display so you can get a good feel by playing around with one or a 27" iMac at an Apple or BestBuy store for a while.

Some options for 27" 2560x1440 are Asus PB278Q, Viewsonic VP2770, Dell U2711, Dell U2713H, Planar PXL2790MW (good if you like the Apple styling). I don't really have any suggestions for 27" or 24" 1080p as I've not looked at those lately; I've been quite happy with a Viewsonic vx2439m

Best thing is to get out to stores and look at stuff, try them out. Best Buy, Fry's, Microcenter, etc.

7. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

If you are just looking for an external monitor, you can get a much cheaper one than that, there are awesome 2560x1440 for around $600, even 4k monitors at around $600, I can't think of their names now though