LG 32" HDTV (LG70) connected to Mac Pro. CABLES NEEDED?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok so here's what I'm doing. I'm getting a 32" LG HDTV with Full HD and will be connecting it to my Mac Pro as well as my Illico HD terminal. I plan on getting a DVI-HDMI cable to connect my Mac Pro. Then I'm going to get a HDMI to HDMI cable to connect my Illico terminal to my HDTV. The DVI-HDMI cable I am looking to choose is not dual link. Will this be a problem. This is the cabel:
    Is this good. can I have your opinions cuz I'm buying the TV tomorow so the advice needed is urgent.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. You only need dual-link if you have resolution over 1920x1200. Your TV doesn't, I guarantee you.

And DVI doesn't carry audio, so you'll need another solution for that.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You need the dual-link DVI for resolutions at 2560x1600 like on the 30" monitors. The MBPs already have dual-link DVI built-in without any additional cables/adapters needed. Your TV is probably just 1920x1080 so you'll be fine with just a DVI>HDMI adapter. Do you have optical audio input on your reciever? or just get a stander 3.5mm jack with cable so you will have audio.

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Just so you know the picture or link you were giving for the cable is broken/non-existent.

On topic, you do not need dual-link for an HDTV. A 1080p HDTV (the BEST TV you can buy at a normal store, and the best any video medium, i.e. Blu-Ray, can reproduce) is only 1920x1080 pixels, well within what any display connector technology can handle. You only need dual link for ~30" MONITORS, which are better than 1080p HD (more like 2560x1600 pixels).
    As for the other thing you are hooking up, it sounds like that will be plugged into another HDMI port on the TV, so that will in no way be related to your output from your Pro.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

[edit]
    Wow, I got smoked to the reply on this one. lol
    [/edit]

5. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Thanks for the help guys. I'll also be buying a Bluray drive for my Pro. Any ideas on which. Does the Sony BWU300S do a good job?

6. MacVidCards Suspended

HDCP = No FUN

Get ready to learn about HDCP.

I hooked my Hi-Def cable box to a Dell 2405....got a "Not a Compliant Device" message.

Everything in stream from blu-ray forward has to be certified...Mac OSX IS NOT.

7. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I know and that is why I have a Windows XP partition!

8. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Don't spend more than $13 on an DVI-HDMI adapter.

9. Supaklaw macrumors regular

Cables get a DVI-D to HDMI cable... it's gold connectors on the DVI side, slightly better throughput than cheaper cable. Use optical cables S/PIF to a receiver to get surround. BluRay I'd recommend LG-GGCh20L (dual Bluray/HD-DVD) and put it in an enclosure, internal players are too much of a headache to use. I don't think the Sony plays well with the Mac Pro anyway.