Lg 34um95 + mba

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ckeck, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Just got my new LG 34UM95 from Amazon yesterday and wanted to confirm that it runs beautifully with my 2013 Macbook Air. Had some concerns that it wouldn't push the full 3440x1440 @ 60Hz, but it's working perfect over Displayport.

Planning to pickup a Thunderbolt cable later this weekend at the Apple store so I can tap into the USB and audio though one cable. Wish it had ethernet like the ATB, but that would just be icing on the cake.

If you're curious about this monitor, all I can say is...WOW!

2. recursor macrumors newbie

Just so you know, the audio thing is a bit of a waste of time since you can't control volume on this display from the Mac.

3. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Do you know why Apple made that design choice? That can be annoying at times.. ;)

4. recursor macrumors newbie

Not really sure what you mean. It's a great feature to have. It's LG that made the choice not to support it. Which is sad.

The other thing that LG could have done was to include a camera and mic (like the Apple Thunderbolt display). The inclusion of Thunderbolt, combined with the price point, means they've made this for Mac users that would otherwise buy the Apple product. But then they omitted these key things to only get us half way there.

I'm not a gamer. But for us software engineers this is a truly awesome display.

5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I found this out just messing around. Luckily I never use built-in monitor speakers so no big deal for me.

6. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

I mean, why Apple doesn't allow you to control HDMI volume.

7. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Do you have speakers plugged into the monitor through the aux input? and does the audio come out well?

8. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I have not tried hooking speakers into the monitor directly but I could. I'll report back.

9. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Awesome thanks :)

10. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Any new info about speaker sound?:)

11. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Sorry, got tied up and forgot. Will set a reminder to check this weekend.

12. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

So this doesn't appear to work unless I'm missing something. I tried using the monitor in both Displayport mode and Thunderbolt while having the audio hooked into the AUX port.

Despite checking all the settings I couldn't get any sound from the monitor, BUT the volume change indicator did show up on the LG screen and function like you would expect. As many have mentioned, that option is locked when trying to send audio via Thunderbolt.

13. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Ahhh i see.

Thanks for the info. Regardless of whether or not the audio will pass through, ill still be purchasing one :D

14. yufeng66 macrumors newbie

Can't use 3440x1440 under Yosemite

I have a 34um95 hooked up to mid 2012 MBA (hd4000 video card). It more or less worked under Maverick. Screen some time is corrupted if I have the lid up, most likely due to frame buffer size issue.

After I upgrade to Yosemite, the 3440x1440 resolution disappeared all together. The default resolution for the monitor is now 2560x1080. Does anybody have any luck to get 34um95 work with Yosemite?

15. recursor macrumors newbie

So I did find what could be a workaround for managing the display volume via the keyboard using Soundflower:

Enable Mac Volume Control for HDMI and DisplayPort Audio Devices

Haven't tried it and don't know if it works on Yosemite.

----------

The 34UM95 works perfectly for me at full resolution via Thunderbolt (never tried anything else). First used on Mavericks, I have since upgraded to Yosemite. Everything works the same. Display is detected and set to Best Resolution setting. But I'm on a 2012 MBP Retina 15 (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB), so you might be limited by display capabilities of your Air.

Love this monitor. Don't need 4K or 5K. As a dev I need real estate and the width of this thing is awesome. Just wish it had a built-in FaceTime camera/mic and that I could control the built-in speaker volume with the keyboard. Wish Apple made a display like this.

16. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Working on mine right now on Yosemite, but I do have the 2013 MBA.

17. epirali macrumors member

A note for anyone who has an AMD based graphic cards and uses this: I was finding that the monitor was flickering occasionally when in use. A little bit of research seems to indicate LG blames cable and/or graphic card. If you run into this with thunderbolt just switch from 60 Hz to 50 Hz, it seems to have eliminated or at least greatly reduced the issue so far.

18. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

im running 2 P2715Q's @ 4k and 1 1080p just fine with a 2015.

i thought it would never work but it works great for me.

using Displaylink D3100 usb 3.0 video dock.