LG 38UC99-W does not display via USB-C

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by typecomp, Nov 28, 2016.

1. typecomp, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

typecomp macrumors newbie

Heads up to anyone who got a 2016 MacBook Pro and was thinking of connecting via USB-C port to the new LG 38UC99-W. It does not display any image despite being able to power the MacBook and have connected drives appear on the MacBook desktop. Just a black screen. LG offered no solution and simply said it should work via USB-C port. I was able to get the LG to display when using a display cable and USB-C to DisplayPort adapter. The adapter which shall remain nameless barely accomplished the job and the slightest of movement of the cable resulted in loss of display. I also a experienced a complete freeze of the MacBook while connected to the LG. I tried out a few different 34 inch LG models and concluded that a resolution of 3440 x 1400 has an appearance similar to that of my 8 year old Cinema Display. Given this experience I will not be gambling on the plastic, clunky looking LG 4k & 5k displays that are supposedly "made for the mac".

2. RyanC1384 macrumors newbie

I just ordered this monitor and have heard from others that it works fine. Have you done any troubleshooting?

3. typecomp, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

typecomp thread starter macrumors newbie

None was suggested by LG and I returned the monitor. Don't know what to troubleshoot on two new pieces of equipment other than getting another new cable. I am returning the MacBook Pro since no one else makes an ultra wide monitor with C port. Hope yours works. I am going to wait for next update to 5k iMac and get that since sharp text has new appeal after my experiences with LG ultrawides. I also found that having only two inbound USB ports on the monitor is a pain.

4. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Are you using a "proper" USB-C cable and not the charging cable that came with the Mac? That won't have the bandwidth.

5. typecomp thread starter macrumors newbie

No sure wasn't and no one at Apple, LG, or Micro Center suggested this was the problem. You would think Apple would have released that information sooner than 11 days ago. They are still telling people that Cinema Displays with mini display port connectors can be used on the new MBP via T3-T2 connector. Which it can't. And, as I just found out as I am writing this, Apple is still telling people their charge cable can connect to monitors for display purposes.

chat log.png

6. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

It might not be the case - I've not used that specific monitor - I just know it's certainly an issue with similar devices.

Welcome to the world of USB-C! The water's warm! And chaotic!

7. typecomp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the welcome but I am leaving C-world and will be looking forward to an iMac when they revamp those.

8. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Heh, I won't be buying a USB-C only device for many years, I suspect. Apple have lost me this cycle: I'll be getting an XPS when they refresh in January.

9. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Is it a 13 or a 15? If it's a 13 you may have to plug it in the left ports only for it to work....

10. RyanC1384 macrumors newbie

This could be the case, I have read that 2 of the USB-C ports on the 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar are not as fast as the other two.

I understand your frustration, but it sounds to me like you've thrown in the towel a bit prematurely.

11. typecomp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I regret not trying LGs cable which would have solved the problem. On the other hand I now realize that I value resolution over screen real estate and believe I will apreciate a 5k monitor over an ultra wide.

12. Kiddomac macrumors newbie

i had the same problem at first, but then somehow it upgraded to flickering picture. i tested around for 2 hours or so getting increasingly frustrated, now i have a stable 60 Hz picture with the lg usb-c cable. the trick was to also connect the macbook to an outlet, as far as i can tell.

can anyone here confirm this?