Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I connected the monitor to an iPad Pro 12.9 2017 while working in the dark. Since the iPad PRO does not support 4K external display, there were black borders on both sides of the screen. When I turned off the iPad and before the screen of this 43" got turned off, I saw a block (in purple blue) on the lower right region of the screen. What is that? Is my monitor defective? Anybody else has this problem?

blueblog.jpg

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I checked with LG. They asked me if the monitor is from a specific product code. (Is this an indication that perhaps there is a bad batch?) Then, rather than sending me a new replacement, they said that they have no idea what is wrong and suggested me to send it to the service center for further inspection.

I have been checking 40" monitor for a year. Looks like so far, this LG monitor has the best rating. The Philips one has burn in issues. Is there any other 40"+ 4K monitor that is better than this?

Alternatively what is the problem using a normal 4K TV (with chroma 4:4:40 as a monitor?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I work on SONY Bravia 49" x850b and I love it, check the newest x900F is even better.

Thanks. Isn't the x900F at least 49"? I think it may be a bit big for viewing. Around 43" seems to be the best. Does it has chroma 4:4:4? Cannot find such info on Sony's webpage.

nagual

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
It is up to you ... if you have place go for it, I have no regret of using it. Personally I am getting 55" when prices will go down. Concerning chroma I would check LG C7 or C8.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
What are the pros and cons of using TV rather than normal monitor? Looks like LG C7 and C8 do not have models below 55". Want something about 43" with crystal clear text as I read and write a lot.

[doublepost=1525148883][/doublepost]Anybody has this monitor? Doe it have issues?

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
It is up to you ... if you have place go for it, I have no regret of using it. Personally I am getting 55" when prices will go down. Concerning chroma I would check LG C7 or C8.

C7 and C8 are too expensive. I am considering the Q7F 55" but the problem is that to display 4K, it has Chroma 4:4:4 only @30Hz. Without Chroma 4:4:4, it can display 4K at 60Hz. I am concerned about lag when doing @30Hz. If I go for 60Hz, the text may not be sharp. Any experience? Alternatively, just get the X720E or give the LG 32UD79-B another chance.

Also, if I use TV as a monitor, do I have to make the settings all the time whenever I turn on the monitor? For example, using the remote to change the channel, make the resolution and refresh rate settings, etc.

Another concern is my motherboard only supports 4K@60Hz if I use displayport and most TV don' have a displayport. Will image quality degrade if I use some kind of displayport to hdmi adapter?

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
A 49" or 55" for a monitor? I wonder what the long term health impact of that is. For e.g., the heat (and radiation possibly? ) generated of such displays is going to be pretty high and you are always in such close proximity when you use that as a monitor.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
A 49" or 55" for a monitor? I wonder what the long term health impact of that is. For e.g., the heat (and radiation possibly? ) generated of such displays is going to be pretty high and you are always in such close proximity when you use that as a monitor.

Will 43" TV or monitor be OK?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I connected the monitor to an iPad Pro 12.9 2017 while working in the dark. Since the iPad PRO does not support 4K external display, there were black borders on both sides of the screen. When I turned off the iPad and before the screen of this 43" got turned off, I saw a block (in purple blue) on the lower right region of the screen. What is that? Is my monitor defective? Anybody else has this problem?

View attachment 760076

From the photo, is the back-lighting of this monitor bad?

apolkowski

macrumors regular
What kind of radiation you expect to get from LCD display? With CRTs there was a stream of high speed electrons fired against an active layer displaying the image. But no more now.

Reactions: hajime

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
What kind of radiation you expect to get from LCD display? With CRTs there was a stream of high speed electrons fired against an active layer displaying the image. But no more now.
I thought that the LCD monitors still emit some amount of radiation? Nevertheless, I sit in front of a monitor for 15-17 hours a day. Big displays trouble my eyes and I feel a lot tired at the the end of the day. That is why I downgraded from a 34" to a 29". I think a 25" would be perfect (maybe 2 25").

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I work on SONY Bravia 49" x850b and I love it, check the newest x900F is even better.

Thanks for pointing out the Sony TVs. I compared the X900E with the X900F but I like the images of the former better and bought it. It is very nice. I expect that once I found an adapter that can drive the TV at 60Hz, the situation would be even better. I have tried the LG 38" curved TV, LG 43" and a few others. Certainly, at least in my case, large screen TV is much better than large screen monitors.

Do you have suggestions on what speakers to get to put on each side of the large 49" TV?

nagual

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
Congrats, nice choice, I would actually choose the same thing between two TV sets. Honestly, I would never go back to any smaller screen/monitor, it just a pleasure to work on. Make sure you'll buy an active adapter, so it can drive 60Hz, like this one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00S0BWR2K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ANO99AFAXRIXA

I am still waiting for price to go down for last year 55X930E in around $1300 mark. Sony 900E is a nice set except it will never support Dolby Vision.

I used to have VIZIO SB4051 5.1 SoundBar for sound, and that worked well for sometime except it is not as straightforward for different audio sources (TV apps, mac, Apple TV) you need to change audio settings. So I put it for sale. TV speakers actually are not that bad if you consider the easiness of operation, other than that get yourself AirPlay speaker (HomePod, Sonos or build one - http://www.balcells.com/products/how-to-build-an-airplay-speaker-for-under-$100.html) so you can easy stream to them. I build my own Airplay speakers and I like their versatility.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Congrats, nice choice, I would actually choose the same thing between two TV sets. Honestly, I would never go back to any smaller screen/monitor, it just a pleasure to work on. Make sure you'll buy an active adapter, so it can drive 60Hz, like this one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00S0BWR2K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ANO99AFAXRIXA

I am still waiting for price to go down for last year 55X930E in around $1300 mark. Sony 900E is a nice set except it will never support Dolby Vision.

I used to have VIZIO SB4051 5.1 SoundBar for sound, and that worked well for sometime except it is not as straightforward for different audio sources (TV apps, mac, Apple TV) you need to change audio settings. So I put it for sale. TV speakers actually are not that bad if you consider the easiness of operation, other than that get yourself AirPlay speaker (HomePod, Sonos or build one - http://www.balcells.com/products/how-to-build-an-airplay-speaker-for-under-$100.html) so you can easy stream to them. I build my own Airplay speakers and I like their versatility.

Due to the wide and low base (raise the TV by 6 cm tall) of the 900E, the sounds come out from the bottom of the TV hits the desk and then bounce off to my ears. It is kind of strange. I got a raiser to raise it by 10 cm but now my face is pointing in the middle of the screen and I have to move my head to see the words in the upper left hand corner.

Do you think just putting the TV on the desk and getting something like a Harman Kardon Soundsticks would be a better way (both for viewing the full screen without moving the head and surround sound-wise)?

nagual

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
My TV is on a wall. Have you tried to change speakers configuration >> TV Position >> Table-Top Stand or Wall Mount? See if that will change anything. Good luck!

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I use my TV as a monitor in living/bedroom from a distance but for office a smaller monitor is best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.