LG 5k the best MBP display for 4k?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sammyman, May 3, 2017.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I got the LG 5k display just the other day, but realized quickly I prefer looking at the monitor in 4k rather than 5k. 5k makes text way too small.

So I'm curious if this is the best monitor for the MBP? I love the one cable setup I have right now. In that regard, it is fantastic.

Also, I paid $700 for it brand new, so I feel the value was good. Just wondering if I'd be happier with a 4k display. Or are there any benefits of having the 5k but running it in 4k?

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

If you find the 5K text way to small, I assume you are manually putting it into "5120 × 2880" in System Preferences.

There is no need to do this. The intention of 5K is to show a display that is the scale of a 2560 × 1440 display, but in finer detail. This is done by quadrupling the resolution. By default, the UltraFine 5K is set to 'looks like' 2560 × 1440, but rendered by 5120 × 2880 pixels.

No matter what scaled option (e.g. "larger text" or "more space") you choose in display preferences, you are still enjoying full 5K resolution. The only thing that changes is how big the things on the screen are. 14.7 million pixels are still being produced.

In other words, the 5K display is great for you, even if you prefer to use it in the larger text option.

Confusion like this is rife, and in fairness it is difficult to explain what is going on. Apple should make the interface more user friendly in that regard.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very well explained. Thank you. I assumed this was the case but wanted to confirm.

4. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

You got the LG 5K for $700 new? That's a killer deal.

Retina can be confusing, but it can be easier to understand if you think about the scaling multiplier.

Physically, the monitor has 14.7M pixels. If you run it at 5120x2880, there's no scaling or in other words 1X scaling. Every pixel shows up as 1 pixel in the UI.

If you're running it at 2560x1440 (which is the intended resolution), then every pixel in the UI is made up of 4 pixels. This is 2X scaling and the monitor is super sharp at this setting. 2560x1440x4 = 14.7M pixels. We're multiplying by 4 instead of 2 because you're doubling X/Y axis.

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got it. I'll keep it at that resolution.

Yeah, it could be stolen. Super shady Starbucks deal, but I went for it. Brand new in the box. Even got it registered in my name. Figured I couldn't lose money if I didn't like it. I think I'll keep it for now. Thanks!