LG BL-40 = Iphone Killer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zFrenchy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. zFrenchy macrumors member

I hate to call it the Iphone killer as so many phones have been dubbed the "iphone Killer" and failed horribly, but i legitimately think this might beat the Iphone. Of course iphone will have the all powerful App Store but the hardware in the BL-40 seems revolutionary.

Ie:

Plays almost all video formats: MPEG4, 3GP, WMV, AVI,
    DivX, XviD, H.263, H.264

Plays almost all audio formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, M4A, MP4, AMR, 3GP,
    3GPP, MIDI

5 megapixel Camera with zoom.

Micro SD card slot (love this!)

FM radio is nice too.

What is your thoughts?

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Listed specs are not revolutionary.

iPhone with OLED screen and background processing. now that would be nice.

3. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

There is no phone that will come out for a while that has the potential to beat the iPhone.

Right now the iPhone has the backing of Apple fans. The iPhone also has iTunes, which is one of the best music/application distributing programs to date. The fact that this new LG phone has such "revolutionary hardware" is nothing new. The only thing I can see on there that might be "revolutionary" is the 5MP camera, and I am sure that has been done before.

The iPhone is as good as it is because of the software, not the hardware.

4. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Come on OP, get serious. The iPhone has a fanatical loyal base. LG? Not. There is no such thing as an iPhone killer, only different choices. People were still buying the iphone, even though it had only a 2 megapixel camera, no cut and paste, no mms. Now there is 3Gs.

What makes you think that a few extra trinkets is going to impede the iphone?

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

app store. beat that and you may have a chance of 'killing' the iphone

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Without App support, I don't think it will compare.

The reason why I think the iphone is so great is because of all the apps out there. I mean, if you buy a new phone you get bored with it in one week once you get used to all the features.

With the iphone, you always have new apps to play with.

7. cube macrumors G5

No. It doesn't have a slider QWERTY keyboard.

The only proper phone is the N97 (but it lacks DVB-H and 7.2 Mbps).

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

First, your premise is wrong. Nothing EVOLUTIONARY will kill the iPhone. Something truly REVOLUTIONARY, however, could.

THIS new gadget with some bells and whistles tacked onto another smartphone may eat into sales, but:

1) There is already a critical mass of customers who use/love the iPhone.
    2) The App store and integration with ITunes/Mac OS is great.
    3) You are assuming the iPhone will not continue to evolve.

That having been said, I will plagiarize one of my previous posts.

Everything can, and will, be eventally "killed." Just because we can't conceptualize the "next big thing" doesn't mean it won't eventually occur. The only ones who might believe this are to young to have seen enough change.

I've lived through vinyl, reel-to-reel, 8 track, cassette, CD, and now digitally ditributed music. When I was younger, if you had told me I could carry around my ENTIRE music collection in something as small as a deck of cards, I would have laughed.

The question is not IF, but WHEN the iPhone will be "killed." I just hope it is Apple doing the killing.

9. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

[​IMG]

This ugly thing? Seriously?
    The dimensions are way off and the specs don't excite me.

11. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

How? There commercials still say "thousands sold" :D

12. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Heh, since Apple is the hottest thing around I highly doubt it can be "killed".

Things like badass specs in new hardware aren't going to kill the iPhone.

13. tandersn9 macrumors member

The samsung omnia also looked really good on paper and look how it turned out.....

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*snort covering laughter* Why?

The Zune plays more formats than any iPod. Look how well it has done.

What sensor?

"You have to get 'em, and put 'em away, and you lose 'em... yuck!"

100 year old tech is nice?

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

eawmp1 said it best in every way possible. Saying something is an iPhone killer will continue to be ridiculous for a while yet.

16. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

apple had it right when they released the promo for the 3g iphone. the only thing that can be an official iphone killer is the next iphone. Its more than the features on the phone that do it. It's the fact that the phone has an "i" in front of it, has the apple logo on the back. The phone has a phenomenal OS. The ease of use is just too much, then like others have said you've got iTunes integration, the App store, multi touch that actually WORKS, and up to 32 gigs of memory. Mark my words

NOTHING WILL EVER KILL AN IPHONE BUT THE NEXT IPHONE.

phones with better specs will come out but at the end of the day they dont run iphone os. they dont have itunes and no app store.

and if a better phone ever comes out Apple customers such as myself are so loyal we will without a doubt stick to the iPhone and sales will still grow.

17. Reclaim3r macrumors regular

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

As a 3GS owner who has been evaluating a Pre for a couple of weeks, I can't wait to return it to Best Buy.

19. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I must agree with EthanNixon here. While I do believe the 3GS has quite decent hardware, the core value of the iPhone lies in its software, including App Store.

I played with a Pre at the Sprint store a few days ago. I totally understand your feeling. :)

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

My thought is there is no such thing as an iPhone KILLER and to keep using that term is ridiculous.

I also think it is funny that they have recently released a statement saying that Blackberry outsold iPhone during this last quarter.....which is fine and good but who cares? iPhone has one model ( they are all the same) while Blackberry has many choices and still iPhone is right there with them.

21. dns72 macrumors member

lol, like some generic LG touch screen phone is going to be better than the iphone.

22. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

IMHO with the momentum that iPhone has established for itself already I would say the only killer to the iPhone would be another iPhone. The release cycle and the added extras along with the mac tie-ins have been capturing many. This along with talk of a possible Verizon negotiation around the corner will only accelerate its already booming sales numbers. The phone for me has even changed my entire outlook on technology by letting me get my feet wet before switching to mac.

I only use PC at work (they aren't changing anytime soon) nowadays. I am 100% mac now and very much a fanboy of the products these days. I have 2 iPhones, a plethora of iPods, an iMac, a MBP, ATV and MacMini. I'd say the iPhone is doing well enough to even help sell the more senior Apple products to those that have bought an iPhone. How many other phones have been able to say this?

23. cenetti macrumors 6502

No LG phone can kill Iphone...

Iphone will die in the hands of an Android phone.... at one point in the future..

24. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

dammmm...i wish i had FM radio on my 3GS:(:D thats like so 2010

25. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I bet you're not even gonna buy it. That thing is an fugly POS