LG Blu-Ray Burner and internal SATA connection Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mypetfrog, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mypetfrog macrumors newbie

I'm just - as I type - migrating the contents of my old G5 to a shiny new 8core Mac Pro but before I go and install my LG 4x BD Burner I have a question that I can't seem to get a definitive answer to.....

I currently use a USB enclosure for the LG BD Burner and have had no problems burning data disks in Toast 8.0.3. It can't do Video disks as that's a limitation of the software which is fine. Going to install Adobe Encore to help with that.

I've read lots of reports of BDR and BDRE disks not even showing up if the LG is installed in the 2nd optical disk bay of the Mac Pro when using internal SATA connection from the motherboard? But USB works fine. Is this true?

So I guess my questions are if I connect the LG using the internal SATA connections:

will the BD burner allow me to burn BD data disks using Toast? (works fine currently on the G5 using an external USB enclosure)

will it burn BD Video disks using Encore? (not yet installed)

Anyone any recent experience of using this burner with an internal SATA connection? Or should I just stay with USB?

Thanks

Steve

2. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Steve... are you trying to infiltrate? I knew Apple was monitoring MacRumors.

I don't have the answer to you question but I have a question of my own. How much was your BD burner? Any good deal at LG?

3. mypetfrog thread starter macrumors newbie

nah, just trying to get this damned burner to work!!

it was around £170 from svp.co.uk - great drive and works perfectly (over USB) but still had no info on whether the SATA connection will work!

Anyone?

4. deathshrub macrumors 6502

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

He... makes a fair point. It won't take that long to try it... so go for it ;)

6. xefned macrumors newbie

wondering myself

Did it work?
    Did it work?
    Did it work?

inquiring minds...

7. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

i have an internal lg superblue sata drive......

ive only used it for reading disks to copy and encode so far and it works perfectly!

also used it in windows 7 too

8. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

I used a LG super multi blue burner in my 2006 Mac Pro connected to the ODD SATA port on the motherboard and it worked fine in OSX. A pain to connect up if you have big hands...