Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
As the title states I own a 2008 macpro 3,1 I recently installed a bluray drive which was a total pain as to how the superdrives run off ide and the bluray runs of sata. None the less it works, but every time my mac goes to sleep when it wakes up the eject at the top of the menu bar will always freeze even though the drive will still eject when I hold eject on my keyboard the drive still functions. Toast has also become unreliable after bluray drive installation. Toast freezes on bootup and on occasion I can get into to burn something. Same goes for disk utility and system profiler when I goto check the disc burning section to show the drives. I usually have to reboot and then everything is ok again until it goes to sleep. Other than toast and disk utility still give me problems regardless. I had turned off putting the hard disks to sleep since the drive runs of sata but alas didn't help. I was hoping there might be some sort of firmware update I'm not aware of for my drive.

Here is the Lg drive I own.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136246

Ps. I am running snow leopard.

Last edited:

lesreaper2009

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
Same problem. I had no problems for awhile with toast, and then it all just went to crap. I have to reboot ALL the time for the blu-ray burning.

And yes, these forums are dead.

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I can't even open disk utility without it locking up, both toast and disk utility lock up on me. I have to restart and then quickly after starting open each and hope that I don't have to force quit them.

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Update: still haven't found a problem for this, also I've lost the ability to open my 2nd optical with keyboard commands as eject and option/alt eject both open my bluray drive.

PabloGS

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Europe
Hey guys... Since I did not find an answer to this:
I got it working for me.

Here is my story:
I installed an internal Blu-Ray Burner into my Late 2008 MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.2

I also installed Toast and ran into the same or similar problems you had with disk utility: It always froze on the gathering Information screen and then my whole system would hang. I also deleted the plist and it didn't help.

What did the trick for me:
I repaired my disks permissions using diskutil in the terminal.
diskutil repairPermissions <insert volume name here>

Following that it worked again :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.