LG Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter not recognized on Windows 7 partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jordanrockwell, Feb 5, 2010.

1. jordanrockwell macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I recently bought the following:

LG WH08LS20 Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter.

I have a Mac Pro and installed it. The Mac OS recognizes it just fine. However, the Windows 7 partition does not. Any ideas? I looked and looked for drivers but couldn't find anything.

thanks
    Jordan

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Are you saying the physical disk is not recognized at all in Windows? If it's just that you can play BR movies try the software below. If Windows doesn't even see the drive (nothing in Device Mgr not even a ? mark) I'm not sure what that would happen.

Did you install PowerDVD or WinDVD. You have to have one of those or this less expensive option.

http://www.digistor.com/ArcSoft-Total-Media-Extreme-FE2-Full-Blu-ray-DVD-Edition

Cheers,

3. jordanrockwell thread starter macrumors newbie

re:

Nope. The drive is not even recognized by windows 7. But again, the mac OS recognizes it just fine.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Hmmm, If this was a PC I'd say check the bios to make sure the IDE or SATA port was enabled. Not sure how the Mac pass hardware info to Windows. Can you put the drive in an external enclosure and see if Windows recognizes it?

Cheers,

5. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I have the same Bluray drive as you and it works perfectly in Win7 which is the platform it was built to be used mainly on. Now the question which comes in mind is what Mac Pro do you have. 2006-8 use ATA interface for the Optical Disk Drive whereas 09s use SATA. Are you sure you plugged in all the cables correctly. 2006-8 Mac Pros require PATA - SATA adapter to use SATA Bluray drives. It's weird that Win7 doesn't pick up the drive.

6. 3282868 macrumors 603

I ran into the same issue. I have a 2008 8 core Mac Pro 3,1, and along with the previous models still has an IDE chipset. I already had a LG Blu-Ray burner installed using one of the two ODD SATA ports, and when the factory Pioneer DL-DVD burner crapped out I thought I'd install another SATA DVD burner and toss the IDE cable. With a few tweaks, I was able to boot my Mac Pro with AHCI loaded in Windows 7 64-bit, then ran a script in OS X terminal to modify the Windows 7 MBR. I then booted into Windows 7 and installed the Intel Matrix Storage Drivers, and after another reboot Windows 7 recognized my LG Blu-Ray and LG DL-DVD SATA drives without a hitch.

The only remaining issue is that OS X will not recognize the two optical drives as bootable. The drives work perfectly within 10.6.2, but because of the IDE chipset they are no longer bootable optical drives for OS X.

Any ideas on how this may be rectified?

UPDATE: OS X does recognize the two SATA drives and the OS X DVD does boot.

...and here's a link to one of the few guides I found that helped me along a quicker path in setting AHC1 mode:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f74/how-to-boot-mac-pro-in-ahci-mode-t3159/