LG: Dare compatibility with mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by x13gamer, Jun 27, 2008.

1. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

Has anyone tried using the LG dare with a mac? I'm looking for a new phone and am curious how this one will work. are there any suggestions for any of Verizon's phones?

2. lyngo macrumors 6502

I am asking the same questions and have the same concerns over on howardforums just to let you know.

- Jay

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

what are you going to be doing? syncing calendar/address book/songs/ vids like the iphone?

4. x13gamer thread starter macrumors regular

x13gamer

5. RobUM macrumors newbie

I just got the Dare today and I haven't had any luck syncing it with my mac...I was able to get a wallpaper picture onto my SD card using a card reader but it creates a duplicate unrecognizable and undeletable picture along with it... music does the same thing..

If someone figures out a better to sync please let me know :( ...I'd love to get my calendar on here as well...

(This phone is actually replacing my iPhone after I had to switch from at&t to Verizon.... very nice phone, I must say...and it helps to numb the pain a bit... but still no iPhone)

6. x13gamer thread starter macrumors regular

x13gamer

How do you like the Dare? I heard that you really need finger nails for the touch screen to work, Is that true? is it similar to the iphone with the user interface? how is it working without wi-fi? Is it a feature you miss?

7. RobUM macrumors newbie

You don't need finger nails, but using them definitely helps the screen to respond better. You have to push a bit harder if you want to use only fingertips. Even so, I've tried the LG Voyager and the Samsung Glyde as well, the Dare's touchscreen destroys theirs. In terms of UI, the Dare's is much more customizable, making it easier to "personalize" your phone (mainly through being able to change the background and all of that simple stuff). Other than that, the two UIs are very similar...you can tell LG "borrowed" a lot from Apple.
    As for no WiFi, Verizon's EVDO is pretty quick. So that hasn't really bothered me.
    The only thing I REALLY miss about the iPhone is the virtual voicemail...but I heard that's coming to verizon soon (even though they say it will cost $1.99 a month).

Overall I do like the Dare. But if someone offered me both phones for the same price (and same monthly cost), I'd probably take the iPhone. The fact that the Dare saves me a ton of money on a monthly basis makes it very worth it.

EDIT: This is a pretty good video depicting the UI, if you haven't seen it already:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAxI2cs1e64

8. x13gamer thread starter macrumors regular

x13gamer

Thanks I think I need to check it out to see how I like it from here.

9. harris228 macrumors newbie

sync

Ive had the dare for about a day now and the easiest way i have found to transfer pics/etc...is to sync the two together. put the mac in dicoverable mode, go to settings>bluetooth menu>turn on>add. once the two have found each other put the files u want on the phone open the finder on the mac and drop them into the 'user name'>public>drop box folder.select the mac on the dare then open "browse/get files" select the drop box folder in which u put the files on the mac and they should all transfer over. at least thats how ive been doing it.

10. thecritix macrumors 6502

its this lack of sync with LG which led me toward iphone... it drove me nuts, i teach guitar and to have clients in address book and ical but then not on my phone was infuriating!

I suggest seriously considering how annoying this will become to you (with a view to returning within your 14 day period) not simply overlooking it as I did.

Good Luck
    Nick

11. RobUM macrumors newbie

Have you tried this with music? Does it keep artist name, album art, etc?

12. harris228 macrumors newbie

yea it works the same with music. im not sure about album art. but song title and album title are put in categories correctly. havent tried movies yet. but you'd probably better off going on the internet to watch movie clips. since they take up a lot of memory.

13. rad55 macrumors newbie

i did this but the files automatically go into 'my sounds' is there a way to get them into 'my music'?
    thanks!

14. harris228 macrumors newbie

odd

Thats odd, because all of the music files i transfered went right into the my music section.....do you have a microSD card in your phone? maybe thats the problem. although i dont know y it would be any different if you didnt. ill do some checking into it.

15. rad55 macrumors newbie

no, i don't have an SD card in my phone yet.
    that is weird though. maybe it has something to do with the type of file? they are mp3's
    thanks though.

16. harris228 macrumors newbie

17. royallyconfused macrumors newbie

Whenever I try to do this I get a message saying "File transfer not supported"...what could I be doing wrong?

18. rad55 macrumors newbie

this happened to me also, just re-find your mac from your phone and it should work.

19. jakeOSX macrumors regular

i've been looking at this phone too, so any updates on syncin?

20. Griffindor73 macrumors member

I had an LG Secret (for about a week)- I returned it as it didn't really like the Mac at all- I could get files on to it, but that was about all- I went back to my Sony Ericsson.

21. IDontPostOften macrumors newbie

Sync option

BitPim has posted a test version to sync with Leopard only. I tried it with OSX 10.4.11 and no luck - error opening the .app.
    Read about it at:
    http://www.bitpim.org/#download-test

When there click the "notes and list of changes" - you'll see the LG-VX9700 (Dare) listed.

22. pepper123 macrumors newbie

I have the mac and the lg dare.
    Though you can't sync it, you can still get your photos, music, and etc. onto the dare.

Make sure that both the LG dare and the mac bluetooth's are on and discoverable.
    Once they are paired, click the performed task icon on the mac, which looks like a little mechanical wheel and click send file.
    It worked for me.

23. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

it seems alot of the verizon based phones, only seem to sync with specific media players on windows.

Or sometimes just loading up the stuff on the SD cards works.

maybe you can try parallels/crossover perhaps to sync the music from your mac through those apps? sounds like a pain but it seems they dont have a huge native support for macs.

24. rcuchel macrumors newbie

lg dare

can I download music from my macbook pro to a sd memory card and then transfer music to the dare?

25. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I've got a LG Vu, which is pretty much the same as the LG Dare except for a few things. I don't think there is a LG PC Suite for Mac, so I guess most Mac owners are left in the dark regarding using there LG phones to sync with there computers.