LG displays: are they really different?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macmba, Aug 24, 2011.

1. macmba macrumors member

I read a lot about the Samsung vs Toshiba SSDs, and this can be backed up by the different read/write rates, so its technically true.

What about the displays though? Is there really any difference in terms of quality?

So far I did not mind the LG display I have, its nice and clear, and I am setting it to 3 bars below max, otherwise it would be too bright in the office/at home. Sometimes I do notice that around the edges there is slightly less light there compared to the rest of the LCD, especially the bottom edge. Not sure if thats normal.

How you guys like your LG displays, and if you have seen other Samsung ones, have you seen any differences?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, they are not. I have two MBAs, one with each. and I can't tell which is which unless I run the terminal command that tells me. :apple:

3. macmba thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! What about the little darker or dimmer display towards the bottom edge of the screen? It happens about 2 to 4 bars below the max brightness.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've read about that, and I've tried to look for it on both my displays. If I look hard enough and long enough, maybe, I can see just a little bit, and I then can't decide whether it is real or I am imagining it. :D If it is there, it is not very noticeable and it doesn't bother me one bit. I took pictures of my displays on this thread. Take a look at the side by side pics and you tell me if you can tell the difference or if you see anything wrong.

5. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I have an LG screen that I'm perfectly happy with too.

I recently had a look at three 13" 2011 MBAs together and I couldn't tell the difference between the screens at all (two Samsungs, one LG.)

6. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Yes I think they all have it. My 13 inch Samsung did, My 11 inch LG does. And the dozen or so I looked at the store do. It is certain light backgrounds with brightness midway. It does not bother me for I am not focused on the bottom 3mm of screen anyways. And I know by exchanging, I will be getting the same. Some people can not tolerate it and should go to another machine besides the MBA. But this is the same as it was on the 2010's which my 13" was.

7. macmba thread starter macrumors member

I have it, does not really bother me, but my friend's MBA has it too, just more obvious. I think I would return the one my friend has, its a little too much. But am happy with mine so far. Its plenty bright and clear as far as am concerned.