LG Expands AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Rollout to United States, Remaining 4K UHD TVs Will Receive Update in October

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG today announced that AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are now available through a firmware update on select 2019 OLED and NanoCell 4K UHD smart TVs with ThinQ AI capability in the United States. The remaining 4K UHD TV series in LG's 2019 lineup are expected to receive these features in October.

LG began rolling out AirPlay 2 and HomeKit on July 25, but the firmware update was not available in the United States until July 29.

AirPlay 2 support enables users to stream videos, music, podcasts, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to a compatible LG smart TV, with no Apple TV necessary. And with HomeKit, users can easily control the TV's power, volume, source, and more using Siri or the Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are also available in beta on select Vizio smart TVs, and both features will be rolling out to select Sony models later this summer. Samsung also offers AirPlay 2, but not HomeKit, on select TVs.

Many customers have petitioned LG to offer AirPlay 2 and HomeKit on its older smart TVs, but the company has not budged so far, noting that it "cannot guarantee" that pre-2019 models "will be able to deliver a seamless user experience." LG did note that it "may be a possibility in the future."

Article Link: LG Expands AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Rollout to United States, Remaining 4K UHD TVs Will Receive Update in October

CJLevinsk22

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
This is encouraging to see! Is the experience on-par with an AppleTV? Thinking specifically Screen Mirroring via AirPlay - is it just as smooth and responsive?

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
This is encouraging to see! Is the experience on-par with an AppleTV? Thinking specifically Screen Mirroring via AirPlay - is it just as smooth and responsive?
Only tried it for a few minutes yesterday, but worked how you would expect. similar to the Apple TV. I have an Apple TV, so probably won't use this much though.

Cosmosent

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
RE: "AirPlay 2 support enables users to stream videos,"

Can anyone confirm the streamed video Resolution & Bit Rate ?

I remember trying AirPlay years ago with an NFL game & the quality wasn't very high.

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Does this mean it's coming to all 4K UHD TV's from LG? Even 2016-2017 models?
Sadly, no. I've updated my article to clarify this.

Last week, a spokesperson said that LG "cannot guarantee" that pre-2019 models "will be able to deliver a seamless user experience." LG did note that it "may be a possibility in the future," but it has "no plans" right now. Sounds bleak, but I guess there's a sliver of hope…

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Very shady of LG to tout WebOS as such a flexible and extensible system and then not update recent TVs with this feature. Many other manufacturers are bringing this functionality to recent TVs, so why can't LG? I have an AppleTV so I won't use this much anyway, but it really is anti-consumer for them to behave this way.

Joshuargh

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
I just bought one of these 2019 Nanocell models a few weeks ago knowing the HomeKit update was coming (though the LG website STILL states coming in "June 2019"), Have been waiting for the update and now that it's available, all of a sudden my model (SM8100) isn't getting the update.

No mention of this previously as all reporting and releases before today have said 2019 models with Nanocell/AI ThinQ (which my tv has both) will receive the update. The LG product page states that this model is getting these features and this was a deciding factor when I purchased a few weeks ago.

I just enquired on LG live chat and the support lady said unfortunately my model isn't getting the update.....So angry right now, could have spent my $2000 on another TV that isn't getting HomeKit.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I just bought one of these 2019 Nanocell models a few weeks ago knowing the HomeKit update was coming (though the LG website STILL states coming in "June 2019"), Have been waiting for the update and now that it's available, all of a sudden my model (SM8100) isn't getting the update.

No mention of this previously as all reporting and releases before today have said 2019 models with Nanocell/AI ThinQ (which my tv has both) will receive the update. The LG product page states that this model is getting these features and this was a deciding factor when I purchased a few weeks ago.

I just enquired on LG live chat and the support lady said unfortunately my model isn't getting the update.....So angry right now, could have spent my $2000 on another TV that isn't getting HomeKit.
Maybe you're in the return window? Show them your displeasure by buying another brand. Make sure to tell them about it.

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
When is this coming to an iMac or Mac mini? Yes, there is third party software, but it doesn't work very well, and why wouldn't this have just been built in to all Apple products since way back when? For a walled garden there sure are a lot of gopher holes.

Reactions: cylack

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Many customers have petitioned LG to offer AirPlay 2 and HomeKit on its older smart TVs, but the company has not budged so far, noting that it "cannot guarantee" that pre-2019 models "will be able to deliver a seamless user experience." LG did note that it "may be a possibility in the future."
It is most assuredly the question of money. Folks who bought LG's 2017 or 2018 models isn't going to buy 2019 model for HomeKit and AirPlay 2. Since it is the question of money, just charge a nominal fee for the update, to cover incremental development and testing.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007

I have a 2017 LGUJ6200, really mad they aren't updating it for AirPlay/HomeKit.

Yet I'm in the market for another TV, and I'm drawn to the 2019 LG UM7300PUA. What a **** show for them to not even update this for all 2019 TVs! I mean, I doubt I would use it anyway since I'm a Chromecaster, but definitely makes me think against getting an LG. Guess I'll wait until Labor Day and hope the expensive Samsung RU8000s go on sale (I looked at the RU7100, the picture looks mediocre).

KesterK

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Wakefield, West Yorkshire

I may be wrong, but I think the press release may just mean the SM8100 isn’t getting it in this update rolling out now, and will be included in the October update when the rest of the 2019 LG UHD TVs get the update.

Why when Samsung managed to update all supported models worldwide at the same time, are LG doing it phased by both model and country. I have a 2019 UM7X series TV, and am in the UK, so looks like it will be at least October now for me, or even later if that will be US only!

munpip214

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
RE: "AirPlay 2 support enables users to stream videos,"

Can anyone confirm the streamed video Resolution & Bit Rate ?

I remember trying AirPlay years ago with an NFL game & the quality wasn't very high.
Airplay 2 only supports 1080. Same if you did directly to apple tv. When you airplay from iphone to tv, it downconverts it...LG should have no problem adding to any tv from the last few years...

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005

Why in the world would you haven not gotten an OLED model if you were spending that much money? the OLED models are infinitely better.

Reactions: Chidi

B2k1977

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009

LG today announced that AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are now available through a firmware update on select 2019 OLED and NanoCell 4K UHD smart TVs with ThinQ AI capability in the United States. The remaining 4K UHD TV series in LG's 2019 lineup are expected to receive these features in October.

LG began rolling out AirPlay 2 and HomeKit on July 25, but the firmware update was not available in the United States until July 29.

AirPlay 2 support enables users to stream videos, music, podcasts, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to a compatible LG smart TV, with no Apple TV necessary. And with HomeKit, users can easily control the TV's power, volume, source, and more using Siri or the Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are also available in beta on select Vizio smart TVs, and both features will be rolling out to select Sony models later this summer. Samsung also offers AirPlay 2, but not HomeKit, on select TVs.

Article Link: LG Expands AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Rollout to United States, Remaining 4K UHD TVs Will Receive Update in October

I don't have an apple tv and don't know much about the functions of airplay. I have an iphone 7. I just bought a 2019 LG tv, so what will I be able to do exactly?

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I have a 2017 LGUJ6200, really mad they aren't updating it for AirPlay/HomeKit.

Yet I'm in the market for another TV, and I'm drawn to the 2019 LG UM7300PUA. What a **** show for them to not even update this for all 2019 TVs! I mean, I doubt I would use it anyway since I'm a Chromecaster, but definitely makes me think against getting an LG. Guess I'll wait until Labor Day and hope the expensive Samsung RU8000s go on sale (I looked at the RU7100, the picture looks mediocre).
I'm/was looking at the same model (UM7300PUA). Which it seems "should" get it in October, but I'm not buying on "should".

SanJoseEd

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2017
Only tried it for a few minutes yesterday, but worked how you would expect. similar to the Apple TV. I have an Apple TV, so probably won't use this much though.
My thought/question as well. Using a 2019 OLED65E9 and an atv4 into the LG's HDMI4. Works excellently when using the ATV4 / HDMI and quite nicely using a couple of the LG's WebOS native apps (Netflix, Amazon).

So, now with Airplay2 available the only thing I can see gained is possibly (haven't updated the firmware yet) being able to send audio to stereo paired HomePods. This E9's internal 4.2 speaker system is unexpectedly well thought out and although not true ATMOS, was a nice surprise.

What exactly is Airplay2 bringing to these 2019 LG's?

dezza85

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2015
I have just done the update and whilst airplay 2 is as to be expected I am a bit disappointed with the HomeKit features. I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issue as me...

I can turn the tv off via the Home app and Siri however I can only change the input with the Home App, Siri does not recognise the command. Also I cannot turn the tv back on with either option as once it’s off it says not responding. And there is no option to change the volume?

I was really looking forward to the HomeKit support as I have a HomePod in the same room as the TV but it seems to be very lacking? Especially with the volume and power on controls.

Has anyone else used HomeKit with theirs yet?

Narvon

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
I have just done the update and whilst airplay 2 is as to be expected I am a bit disappointed with the HomeKit features. I wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issue as me......
How did you update? I just spent the last 30 min asking LG Chat and all she would say was, "...it's still in process (not available) and will not work...".

WTF?!? Does LG employ only people that don't know anything? An earlier post above had the same issue.
Please let me in on your secret. Thanks

Phil

PS - I have 2019 xxSM8670PUA and Updates says "No Updates" ver#03.60.04