LG G Flex

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by albertfallickwa, Feb 12, 2014.

1. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I am curious what do people think of this phone? I am debating whether to upgrade to this or wait until the HTC M8 or iPhone 6 comes out. Any LG G Flex owners who can provide me thoughts on this model?

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

What aspect of it do you find intriguing? Is it specifically the curve?

I ask because there are any number of better spec'd phones available for the same or less money. If the phablet form factor is intriguing, the Note 3 is far more capable with a much better display, or wait for the upcoming LG G Pro 2. If you like the design, I'd suggest LG's own G2. Otherwise, I'd personally consider a HTC One, Galaxy S4, Nexus 5, Moto X or even a Xperia Z1 before the Flex.

3. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Go to a carrier store and play with one. It is a very large phone..... The curved screen is kind of a gimmick at this point...it really doesn't ad anything except the wow factor. It does fit nice in the hand but it is a very large phone.... I played around with one at an AT&T store. the manager had one as his work phone and he let me use it for a couple of minutes. I was surprised at how much larger it seems than a Note 3.

4. rockitdog Suspended

The Flex is enormous. Any phone that doesn't fit in a pocket comfortably isn't for me. I mean how does this thing fit even in a jacket pocket? I hope this curved fad comes and goes as quickly as the 3D screen fad did.

5. animalx macrumors 6502

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Maybe I'm missing something but how is the Flex comparable feature wise to the Note?

7. tbayrgs, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I will admit some bias against phablets (too big for my tastes) and heavy OEM skins (LG's is just a step behind TouchWiz, IMO), as well as placing much more emphasis on display--a 720p display in a 6" phone is a big step backwards compared to every other device listed. Otherwise, I didn't choose my words clearly and you're absolutely correct--it's got a huge battery, top level CPU and other internals are on par with other flagships. I just see the display, the aspect of the phone one interacts with the most, as a huge minus, especially on such a big device.

If comparing phablets alone, I'd look at the Note 3 (and I despise TW but the S-Pen and Wacom support are a big benefit) or LG's own G Pro 2 first. If the Xperia Z Ultra had a better camera (and a flash :roll eyes:), I'd probably take a serious look at it as well--love how you can use any implement as a stylus.

8. Sensamic macrumors 68030

9. albertfallickwa thread starter macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Is it possible that lower resolution in the LG G Flex is due to LG wanting to increase battery life (pushing less pixels) over say the Galaxy Note 3?

10. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I know nothing of its specs. I saw it at Best Buy on display and I did not like the way it looked so I went no further.

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I doubt it considering it has a larger battery than the Note 3, a device that offers some of the best battery performance found in a handset and is using the same CPU chip set with a 1080p display.

I guess it has more to do with the curved/flexible nature of the display.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

From this review on Techcrunch, Screen supposed to be very noisy and performance isn't quite as good as Note 3.