LG G5 (brand new + spare battery kit) for just $120... worth it?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Hal~9000, Mar 4, 2017.

?

$120 for LG G5 brand new... worth it if you already have a phone?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Normally I use an :apple: iPhone 6s and am perfectly happy with its performance and don't necessarily need another phone but saw on Slickdeals that BestBuy was having an absolute firesale of the LG G5 (plus spare battery kit) for $5/mo x 24 mo. You also can pay off the $120 in full at any time with no penalty.

Is the G5 worth any money at this point though? I know when it first came out it was $650 but as weird as it sounds I'm wondering if its even worth the $120 + $10 tax + $30 upgrade fee :confused:

I'm kinda stuck between the following two thought processes:
    • "C'mon are you crazy? Even as a spare the G5 for just $120 is a no brainer!"
    • "You don't need another phone and its $160 after taxes/fees, save your money!"
    Any advice you guys can give on what you would do in this situation? :)

2. kkh786 macrumors regular

kkh786

It's a no brainier even if it's a spare. If I saw an equivalent in the UK.. I would have purchased first then ask if I need it. Haha.

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

It depends on your budget. Just a tiny bit over a decade ago, even a "deal" like that would have been a hardship for our budget. Now, it's a no brainer. If I didn't already have an HTC 10 on which to conduct my evil experiments, I'd jump on that deal myself.

Okay, I actually am NOT conducting evil experiments on my poor HTC 10, yet, because I'm still using it and don't want to mess it up. But I will once I get the LG G6 I'm drooling over. IF I get it after all the final reviews and pricing and deals are out on it.

PS, spares are good to have. A friend had her 6S Plus die on her DURING a fabulous trip and she lost all the photos she wasn't able to back up on the road. She didn't have a phone so had to buy one as an emergency while in the middle of a trip, which is horrible circumstances in which to make a new purchase. I use my backups for all sorts of reasons. So...if it's not a hardship, go for it.

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I would buy one if I didn't already have too many phones as it is and it were on a GSM network, that's a great deal.

5. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Save the money for your next main phone. If you don't need it then you just don't need. You would probably use it a couple of times and then put it aside.

6. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

1) If you don't NEED it, don't buy it

OR

2) If you DO think it will come in handy, buy it!

BUT

3) At that price, I'd buy it and sell it for a profit (assuming you've researched eBay etc properly)

7. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

OP, I was tempted to grab it as a backup device. but the bootloop stories of the g4 and g5 had me decide to not get it.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

If u are on a post paid carrier like
    Att sprint Verizon.

Spend the $120. Get the G5. Why?

Very simple. Many carriers in USA will give u likely $650 credit to "trade in a working POST PAID PHONE".

If u paid $120 plus taxes and activation. Say it cost u $150 out of pocket for the G5.

Come Galaxy S8 time or iPhone 2017. If u want to switch carriers. U can always trade in the G5 and get up to $650 credit!

Or worst case is to buy another phone say when they give u a min $200 gift card to upgrade if u trade in any phone.

So the lg G5 gives u so many ways to make back u initial investment of $150.

U can guaranteed to make a profit on any trade in!! Especially with a promo.

Heck Best Buy already gives u $200 Best Buy gift card if u want to trade it in now. So already a guarantee $50 profit

But I'm gonna to hold onto it as a spare and wait for another trade in promo.

9. AppleRobert, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

AppleRobert macrumors 603

Any current flagship is worth it at $120 at this point, even the G5.

I have scarfed up so many prior flagships at very good cost that my darn desk drawer cannot hold any more while I fiddle with the current one I had bought. :)

And what the prior post states above.