Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Wow. I'm out on this one then. Sorry, LG. 32gb internal in 2017 isn't gonna cut it.

32 can cut it, at least for me, depending on the price. $250 for a S7 brand new is perfectly fine because I shift my photos and music to a 64gb SD card and use the remaining 32gb internal for other stuff. I have like 10gb free right now.

Reactions: apolloa

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
32 can cut it, at least for me, depending on the price. $250 for a S7 brand new is perfectly fine because I shift my photos and music to a 64gb SD card and use the remaining 32gb internal for other stuff. I have like 10gb free right now.

I don't want to manage it. Don't want to think about it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Ironically, my new S7 has 16 hrs (estimated) as its full battery capacity under Nougat's device manager.
Are you guys on Snapdragon or Exynos S7 Edges?

My Exynos S7 Edge is incredible with battery life, I sometimes go to bed at around 45-50% that's after a day of playing music, having 3email accounts, checking and posting on social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and LinkedIn), chatting on multiple groups in WhatsApp, having Skype Chat going for work etc...

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Are you guys on Snapdragon or Exynos S7 Edges?

My Exynos S7 Edge is incredible with battery life, I sometimes go to bed at around 45-50% that's after a day of playing music, having 3email accounts, checking and posting on social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and LinkedIn), chatting on multiple groups in WhatsApp, having Skype Chat going for work etc...

Snapdragon. No S7 Edge. Just regular S7.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Snapdragon. No S7 Edge. Just regular S7.
This explains a lot.

Samsung Snapdragon devices seem to be more power hungry, it's very odd that Samsung continue to use Snapdragon in the USA when they did a perfectly good job with the S6 range and Note 5 in 2015 with Exynos in the USA.

I owned a Snapdragon Note 4 due to my network at the time rolling out LTE-A they chose to bring Snapdragon Samsung's, and I must say on Marshmallow I got to compare it to an Exynos Note 4 and it was like day and night, the Exynos heated up less and was smoother, never got to test battery life, but according to GSMArena and AnanTech it seems Exynos Samsung's do a better job than Snapdragon at power management. I think Samsung have a tough time optimising TW for Snapdragon.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
This explains a lot.

Samsung Snapdragon devices seem to be more power hungry, it's very odd that Samsung continue to use Snapdragon in the USA when they did a perfectly good job with the S6 range and Note 5 in 2015 with Exynos in the USA.

I owned a Snapdragon Note 4 due to my network at the time rolling out LTE-A they chose to bring Snapdragon Samsung's, and I must say on Marshmallow I got to compare it to an Exynos Note 4 and it was like day and night, the Exynos heated up less and was smoother, never got to test battery life, but according to GSMArena and AnanTech it seems Exynos Samsung's do a better job than Snapdragon at power management. I think Samsung have a tough time optimising TW for Snapdragon.

That's why I am going to wait for reviews I think before I do a trade in with my S7. I am anticipating holding onto my S7 for a few months at the very least. I might even hold off for the Note 8 or iPhone (if I can get the OLED model for like $100 or free with trade in). I am interested in the OP5 if it has water resistance and QHD AMOLED tech.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
That's why I am going to wait for reviews I think before I do a trade in with my S7. I am anticipating holding onto my S7 for a few months at the very least. I might even hold off for the Note 8 or iPhone (if I can get the OLED model for like $100 or free with trade in). I am interested in the OP5 if it has water resistance and QHD AMOLED tech.
Yep. Rather wait.

I'd actually say wait until AnanTech and GSMArena finish their comparison reviews of the Exynos and Snapdragon S8s, if there is a big difference in power consumption then rather avoid the S8 and treat yourself to a OPO4 or 5 or import the Exynos model if it can work in your network's bands.

The S8 shouldn't be a huge difference though between it and 8895 as Samsung built the Snapdragon 835.....Then again they did help in the fabrication of the 820, so I don't know, lol.

Reactions: nviz22

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don't mind the increased power consumption of the Snapdragon nearly as much as I mind the overheating. My God my Snapdragon 820 phones get boiling hot sometimes. My S7 Edge isn't quite as bad but an S7 and my HTC 10 can get uncomfortably hot and I can't always predict when, but a lot of the time it's when I try to use the camera. Not always, but often enough. There was one day I couldn't activate the camera at all on my HTC 10 without it getting too hot to hold comfortably. I have no idea why.

On the other hand, I used my iPhone 7Plus to record about 90 minutes of 4K video (while also powering an external stereo mic) and it got noticeably warm verging on somewhat hot toward the last ten minutes of recording. But it never threatened to overheat.

I've also used iPhones to record sporting events under a hot southern California sun and had no problems with the phone heating up.

In contrast, a few minutes of Pokémon Go turned my S7 into a portable hand warmer a few weeks ago.

I'd really love for Samsung to sell its Exynos phones here in the US. I didn't know that they'd done so before.

Reactions: Tsepz and widgeteer

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
You don't have to. Install an SD Card and turn on adoptable storage. Acts as a unified storage and you don't have to manage a thing.

Someone just posted a link that showed degradation of speed using this method.
[doublepost=1489952872][/doublepost]
So if there is a good deal on a 32gb phone, you wouldn't budge?

No. If it doesn't meet my needs, I'm not saving any money. I use my phones, I'm not trying to build a collection.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Someone just posted a link that showed degradation of speed using this method.
[doublepost=1489952872][/doublepost]

No. If it doesn't meet my needs, I'm not saving any money. I use my phones, I'm not trying to build a collection.

Ok, let's redo this hypothetical: imagine a phone that meets every need except only offers 32gb storage, luckily there is a SD slot, would you buy said phone if it was on a good deal, where you save $100s of the dollars or would you rather spend an extra $500 on top of the price for a phone with 128gb storage, no SD slot, and not as great software as the 32gb storage + SD slot option?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Ok, let's redo this hypothetical: imagine a phone that meets every need except only offers 32gb storage, luckily there is a SD slot, would you buy said phone if it was on a good deal, where you save $100s of the dollars or would you rather spend an extra $500 on top of the price for a phone with 128gb storage, no SD slot, and not as great software as the 32gb storage + SD slot option?

They all meet my needs to some extent as most phones do everything now. So the deal breaker is on stuff like storage. The phone in your hypothetical would have to offer an advanced feature I can't get anywhere else to overcome the issue because I'm absolutely an early adopter first.

I've used plenty of phones with storage expansion. Integrated internal > expansion slot any day of the week.
[doublepost=1489972141][/doublepost]
I don't mind the increased power consumption of the Snapdragon nearly as much as I mind the overheating. My God my Snapdragon 820 phones get boiling hot sometimes. My S7 Edge isn't quite as bad but an S7 and my HTC 10 can get uncomfortably hot and I can't always predict when, but a lot of the time it's when I try to use the camera. Not always, but often enough. There was one day I couldn't activate the camera at all on my HTC 10 without it getting too hot to hold comfortably. I have no idea why.

On the other hand, I used my iPhone 7Plus to record about 90 minutes of 4K video (while also powering an external stereo mic) and it got noticeably warm verging on somewhat hot toward the last ten minutes of recording. But it never threatened to overheat.

I've also used iPhones to record sporting events under a hot southern California sun and had no problems with the phone heating up.

In contrast, a few minutes of Pokémon Go turned my S7 into a portable hand warmer a few weeks ago.

I'd really love for Samsung to sell its Exynos phones here in the US. I didn't know that they'd done so before.
I've noticed even my Pixel XL with the 821 can get hot browsing for too long. This is an area where Apple still has Android OEMs beat.

I'm almost certain Samsung released either an S or a Note stateside with an Exynos. Cannot remember which one though.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
They all meet my needs to some extent as most phones do everything now. So the deal breaker is on stuff like storage. The phone in your hypothetical would have to offer an advanced feature I can't get anywhere else to overcome the issue because I'm absolutely an early adopter first.

I've used plenty of phones with storage expansion. Integrated internal > expansion slot any day of the week.
[doublepost=1489972141][/doublepost]
I've noticed even my Pixel XL with the 821 can get hot browsing for too long. This is an area where Apple still has Android OEMs beat.

I'm almost certain Samsung released either an S or a Note stateside with an Exynos. Cannot remember which one though.

Would 3D Touch be that advanced feature? An iPhone 7 costs like $500 more than what I got my S7 at haha.

Reactions: apolloa and jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Would 3D Touch be that advanced feature? An iPhone 7 costs like $500 more than what I got my S7 at haha.

I buy iPhones because they're generally leading class along with with either Sammy or Pixel/Nexus for software.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I buy iPhones because they're generally leading class along with with either Sammy or Pixel/Nexus for software.

The Google Pixel and iPhone are woefully overpriced. S7 was overpriced at one point or another as well. The OP3T is probably the best value phone out to date.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
The Google Pixel and iPhone are woefully overpriced. S7 was overpriced at one point or another as well. The OP3T is probably the best value phone out to date.

Value is in the eye if the user. With Apple I'm also getting world class customer service and support (most of the time). Sammy I get best in class for Android handsets, that's not just specs either. That's implementation of those specs. Pixel - the very best version of Android and fastest updates available.

These items are a value to me beyond just the cost of the device. YMMV.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wish we would get the white in the US.....

lg-g6-white-black-backs.jpg

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Value is in the eye if the user. With Apple I'm also getting world class customer service and support (most of the time). Sammy I get best in class for Android handsets, that's not just specs either. That's implementation of those specs. Pixel - the very best version of Android and fastest updates available.

Maybe but Apple offer poor value, their screen resolutions are woefully behind everyone else. And Their cameras haven't been the best lately, also the huge Plus model having extra features is also poor value.
Samsung sure has tons of features but it's build quality lacks behind others, so not THE best Android has to offer.
Can't argue with the Pixel but it is expensive.

I certainly don't think any of these handsets are worth over 700 of what ever currency you choose. But for some reason they all seem intent on inflating prices massively across all flagship phones this year.. very poor value in anyone's eyes when they don't offer anything extra.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013

The Exynos also gets warm but with very hard usage.

Using the Camera in my S7 Edge Exynos doesn't make it heat up, I took pictures and HD1080P@60FPS videos at my best friends Wedding all day last month, and I did not have any issues with any heat, and that's under the African sun in our Summer.

What does make the Exynos heat up is heavy gaming, and poor network connectivity that makes the SoC work harder.

Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Intangibles, intrinsic values, and technicalities aside, the iPhone and Google Pixel offer too many compromises.

Apple: No wireless charging or quick charging, awful bulk with the Plus models, only a LCD panel, doing away with the headphone jack, lobotomized virtual assistant, amongst other things. The iPhone prices are expected to go up higher than they already are. The 7+ 128gb is $850 USD before tax, which is absurd for a new phone.

Google Pixel: Good luck finding one because the availability is low along with device financing flexibility. Google admitted they didn't include water resistance because they wanted to release the Pixel/XL asap. Pricing is too high, especially when you have limited channels, which makes you wonder why water resistance wasn't included in the first place? The Pixel XL doesn't feel as premium as other devices either.

With the OP3, you know you have an AMOLED screen, moderate VR support, incredibly fast quick charging, a high end processor, 6gb of RAM (stays more relevant with spec trends), a decent camera, a fast fp scanner, decent software updates. Are there ideal financing options, no? It's not the iPhone, but still the OP3 is affordable.

Why do you think Samsung needed to add more RAM to the C9 Pro and possibly the S8/S8+ in China? The iPhone SE exists in China as well. Apple and Samsung are worried about China because many Chinese people do not want to spend outrageous sums of $ to get very little economic value. Intangibles, intrinsic values, and technicalities are what makes the distinction between spending $ on Apple and not. I can't argue against intangibles, intrinsic values, or technicalities because those are open to interpretation.

Does Apple, Google, and Samsung make great products? Yes, if not they wouldn't have customers. Do they make devices that are reasonably priced? To me and others, no. To some, yes. However, there is a line we all have at some point (with different products) that we refuse to pay for a product or service. $850 for a iPhone Plus model is way beyond my line.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If I was going to get this phone, this is one I'd try to get unlocked. And after I see what Samsung is offering.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Intangibles, intrinsic values, and technicalities aside, the iPhone and Google Pixel offer too many compromises.

Apple: No wireless charging or quick charging, awful bulk with the Plus models, only a LCD panel, doing away with the headphone jack, lobotomized virtual assistant, amongst other things. The iPhone prices are expected to go up higher than they already are. The 7+ 128gb is $850 USD before tax, which is absurd for a new phone.

Google Pixel: Good luck finding one because the availability is low along with device financing flexibility. Google admitted they didn't include water resistance because they wanted to release the Pixel/XL asap. Pricing is too high, especially when you have limited channels, which makes you wonder why water resistance wasn't included in the first place? The Pixel XL doesn't feel as premium as other devices either.

With the OP3, you know you have an AMOLED screen, moderate VR support, incredibly fast quick charging, a high end processor, 6gb of RAM (stays more relevant with spec trends), a decent camera, a fast fp scanner, decent software updates. Are there ideal financing options, no? It's not the iPhone, but still the OP3 is affordable.

Why do you think Samsung needed to add more RAM to the C9 Pro and possibly the S8/S8+ in China? The iPhone SE exists in China as well. Apple and Samsung are worried about China because many Chinese people do not want to spend outrageous sums of $ to get very little economic value. Intangibles, intrinsic values, and technicalities are what makes the distinction between spending $ on Apple and not. I can't argue against intangibles, intrinsic values, or technicalities because those are open to interpretation.

Does Apple, Google, and Samsung make great products? Yes, if not they wouldn't have customers. Do they make devices that are reasonably priced? To me and others, no. To some, yes. However, there is a line we all have at some point (with different products) that we refuse to pay for a product or service. $850 for a iPhone Plus model is way beyond my line.

Again to you those phones aren't a good value. But to millions they are great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.