Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
Hello I want to get a single monitor for my MBPtb 15" for my home desk. I am looking between the LG 27UD88-W 4K panel and the LG 5K from Apple 27MD5KA panel.

My compare so far is as follows

Colour 4K 5K

Resolution 3840x2160 5120x2880

Size 27” 27”

Charge 60w 85w

Ports 4K = 1 x USB-C, 2 x HDMI 2, 1 x Display Port, 2 x USB3
5K = 1 x USB-C Charging, 3 x USB-C 5gbps

Ports power Yes No
off when
sleeping

Brightness 350 cd/m2 500 cd/m2

Camera No Yes

Speakers No Yes

Consumer
Law
No Yes

Cost £500.00 £884.00

I would prefer the 85w charge but its not essential, can live with ports either way, again would like camera and speakers so I can clear my desk of existing speakers and if MBP in clamshell, can do video confs with work, but not often so again not crucial. Consumer law is attractive after a recent experience on my previous MBP which needed circa £1500 repairs and was all covered under consumer law even though the machine was almost four years old! The cost is a big step up though...

Any experiences to share or comments really appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I'm not a huge fan of the Apple LG monitor. It looks outdated and isn't stylish at all. I hope Apple scraps it soon and get something more nice looking out.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
You've kind of summed them both up perfectly.... People with both screens on here seem delighted with them and having had the LG monitor it is a really nice screen and obviously a good bit cheaper. Sounds like the LG one is the one to go for if money is no object as it fits your use-case better and the extra USB-C ports on the back will be handy - not to mention the fact it doesn't power the ports off when it sleeps which was one bugbear with the LG.

Reactions: buntonn

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
@ascender Thanks for you input, I didn't realise the 5K version didn't power off the ports during sleep, I see a lot of people unhappy with that on the cheaper when they were charging iPad or similar. Thanks for pointing that out.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
@ascender Thanks for you input, I didn't realise the 5K version didn't power off the ports during sleep, I see a lot of people unhappy with that on the cheaper when they were charging iPad or similar. Thanks for pointing that out.

I didn't even think to check that before getting one.. On one hand its a minor annoyance, but on the other I have an Ethernet connection when at my desk which would drop when the monitor went to sleep.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I have ordered the LG 27UD88-W but it's back-ordered. I'm supposed to get it by the end of the month.

The LG 5K display is not available in Switzerland at the moment.

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
@ManuCH I have jut been told by Overclockers UK they expect the 27UD88-W tomorrow and from what I can see the ETA on the 5K is 10th Feb, but Apple often ship early from what I see on here. Just got to weigh up if the differences justify the additional £374.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
@ManuCH I have jut been told by Overclockers UK they expect the 27UD88-W tomorrow and from what I can see the ETA on the 5K is 10th Feb, but Apple often ship early from what I see on here. Just got to weigh up if the differences justify the additional £374.

My reseller in Switzerland (Digitec) expected to get the 27UD88-W yesterday, but it didn't arrive. They called LG and they were told to expect it by the end of January.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Stock in the UK and Europe has been like hen's teeth for a couple of months now. I managed to get mine from PC World Business, but I was checking regularly.

Overclockers had it showing up as due in the next day, but they didn't get their stock so I cancelled the order. They didn't get any more for way past that expected date in the end.

I'm tempted to say that if you're going to keep the monitor for three-five years (which is how long my Apple screens typically got used for) then the extra £374, given the ports and webcam etc is worth it. Especially as its a 5K screen - what else is likely to happen over the next while that is going to render that screen unuseable to you?

muharremoglu

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2017
I'am using the Lg 27ud88w everyday for graphic Design and Programming. Its a really nice Display. The 5k has a higher Pixel density but you will not notice that because normally you sit 0.5meters away.

Reactions: ascender

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
I'am using the Lg 27ud88w everyday for graphic Design and Programming. Its a really nice Display. The 5k has a higher Pixel density but you will not notice that because normally you sit 0.5meters away.

Thanks, you uses sound close to mine, I am a programmer by trade and do some design in Illustrator and Affinity Design for branding etc. I used to do a lot of photo editing in PS when I was shooting weddings and portraits lots, but not doing much of that now, so will be photo editing of my personal photos and video editing from my go-pro and drone footage.
[doublepost=1484819242][/doublepost]
Stock in the UK and Europe has been like hen's teeth for a couple of months now. I managed to get mine from PC World Business, but I was checking regularly.

Overclockers had it showing up as due in the next day, but they didn't get their stock so I cancelled the order. They didn't get any more for way past that expected date in the end.

I'm tempted to say that if you're going to keep the monitor for three-five years (which is how long my Apple screens typically got used for) then the extra £374, given the ports and webcam etc is worth it. Especially as its a 5K screen - what else is likely to happen over the next while that is going to render that screen unuseable to you?

I am beginning to think this way too, the consumer law is very attractive should I get problems, I'd rather have the speakers and camera for my work and I do foresee me keeping the screen for a minimum of four years tbh.

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
I'd back ordered a 27UD88-W which is due tomorrow and delivered on Saturday hopefully. I wanted to be able to plug in a Windows PC and a PS4 Pro as well so the 5k was no good for me. I'd have liked a 3 years on-site swap out warranty like Dell, but LG's is only 2 years send in. Consumer law should help :) I'm just getting my 5 year old iMac repaired by Apple.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I'm assuming you say you won't notice a difference because you currently don't have the 5k. I use the 5k and the 27ud88 side by side and there IS a world of difference. you're talking about 14.7 million pixels on the 5k vs. 8.3 million on the 4k. If you don't notice the difference, there must be something wrong with your eyes.

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
I'm assuming you say you won't notice a difference because you currently don't have the 5k. I use the 5k and the 27ud88 side by side and there IS a world of difference. you're talking about 14.7 million pixels on the 5k vs. 8.3 million on the 4k. If you don't notice the difference, there must be something wrong with your eyes.

I was just edging towards the 4K until I read that... What are you trying to do to my wallet... :eek:

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

muharremoglu

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2017
You really wanna tell me that you can count pixels on 0.5meters range? Haha that was a good joke. The P3 color range is a good point, but not pixel density. Beside that 4k content becoming the industrial standard for a long long time. But its ok if you can afford a 5k display and you happy with it nice for you. But I wanna just say for buntonn 4k display is more than enough for developing. Most of the developers I personally knew are still using FullHd monitors :)

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
You really wanna tell me that you can count pixels on 0.5meters range? Haha that was a good joke. The P3 color range is a good point, but not pixel density. Beside that 4k content becoming the industrial standard for a long long time. But its ok if you can afford a 5k display and you happy with it nice for you. But I wanna just say for buntonn 4k display is more than enough for developing. Most of the developers I personally knew are still using FullHd monitors :)

Who said you can count pixels? I said I use them side by side and there is a clear and obvious difference between the two. This is from my experience using them in real life. You're giving advice based on something you haven't used or seen. The OP can use or buy whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned, but you get what you pay for.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
There was a fair bit of that going on before I managed to get one, not sure if its LG failing to deliver or suppliers just taking a punt to get your order.

mjfutures

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
I would do the 5K .. I've had the LG 4K and its really nice but 5K is pretty incredible upgrade when viewing side by side.

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
I went for the 4K model, love it!! It looks stunning and the stand is nice too. Now seen the 5K model in Apple store at almost double the price, case and stand look pony so I feel I made the right decision. I know the 5K screen will be better, but for my use the 4K is a huge step up and I am totally happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.