Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG has been selected as a secondary supplier of flexible OLED display panels for iPhones, according to Korean publication ETNews.

main-iphone-xs-pic-800x1003.jpg

The report, citing unnamed sources, claims that LG's sixth-generation flexible OLED display panels recently passed a series of Apple's quality tests. LG is now preparing for mass production at one of its plants, the sources said.

In April, The Wall Street Journal reported that Samsung would likely remain Apple's exclusive supplier of OLED display panels for the latest iPhones, unveiled Wednesday, after LG fell behind schedule due to mass production challenges.

If today's report is accurate, however, LG may still be coming on board as a secondary supplier of at least some OLED panels soon. Korean newspaper Newspin reported about a potential deal signed between Apple and LG back in July.

Samsung has been Apple's exclusive supplier of OLED display panels since the iPhone X launched last year. Numerous reports have identified LG as a potential second supplier, as Apple routinely aims to diversify its component makers.

While this news does not have significant implications for customers, Apple can potentially negotiate lower prices for OLED panels as Samsung and LG compete for its business, thereby lowering its production costs of OLED-equipped iPhones.

Earlier this week, Apple introduced the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max with 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch sized OLED displays respectively. The new, lower-priced iPhone XR is equipped with a 6.1-inch LCD as a cost-cutting measure.

The original iPhone X also has a 5.8-inch OLED display, but Apple discontinued that model upon announcing the XS and XS Max.

Article Link: LG Named Second Supplier of OLED Displays in iPhones

Last edited:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Guessing the miidbon here will change now regarding the Pixel XL 2 display. The blue tint will become magical.

Why would the issue of another device be magical for a an Apple device? And what makes you think that LG have not managed to improve the quality of their displays? You are trying to imply that Apple fans would just brush any issue under carpet and make it unexisting on an Apple products but to be honest from what I have seen Apple fans are some of the most vocal ones you would find. In case you have not noticed here, the forum is dominated by complains and negativity. Which I think quite often are valid but sometimes just laughable.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
LGs screens the issue seems to be image retention and no uniformity between one screen and the next. LG cannot guarantee the quality of the screens in their own flagship devices that sell in small numbers, what chance have they got with Apple who will want the very best and at numbers far beyond what LG are used to.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
LGs screens the issue seems to be image retention and no uniformity between one screen and the next. LG cannot guarantee the quality of the screens in their own flagship devices that sell in small numbers, what chance have they got with Apple who will want the very best and at numbers far beyond what LG are used to.
You should realize Apple has something QA. Apple Watches all ship with LG OLED.I haven’t seen any crazy problems with that.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I’ve never been satisfied with a Samsung display in any product... TVs, phones, refrigerators... you name it. LG makes far superior displays, generally, and if their new small-sized OLEDs meet Apple’s specifications then I’m sure they will be great.

My Note 8 and my iPhone X have great displays. Far better than the Pixel 2s. That said I am thinking you are right. If Apple approves them it should be a good thing.

However, Apple has flubbed up with multiple vendors before.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As someone who has seen more than my fair share of wonky Samsung displays, I think this is going to be less of a big deal than everyone thinks. At least by next year. I think Apple will ride on LG’s backs to assure quality that’s better than LG provided to themselves or Google.

I have a Samsung S8+ with a nasty pink stain around the edges. Samsung issued a software fix for the problem but it’s still not a great looking display. My husband got a Note 7 display that was murky like swamp water.

His iPhone X with the Samsung display has blue shift as bad as the one on his Pixel 2 XL display that was made by LG. My Samsung-made Pixel 2 display has a fierce pwm flicker and very faint pink staining on the right hand side.

My iPhone X that I returned had faint pink staining and a fierce pwm flicker. It has a better white balance than my husband’s IPhone X display had but it had a harsh contrast that was a bit too intense with nasty pwm flicker and hurt my eyes. None of my adjustments of the display settings made it any more pleasant to look at.

So, OLED is not without tremendous quality variances and issues even when made by Samsung. It sounds like Apple has a lot of oversight of LG’s output. It could be good.

We shall see.

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
Having had Samsung products for years, and a Pixel 2 the last year, and a brief stint with an IPhone X, Samsung all the way.

The LG ones are probably fine, but I'll trust that Samsung has kept their top quality panels vs the hope that LG had improved theirs.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

The correct phrase here is not that LG can't guarantee the quality, it's that they won't guarantee it in their own devices. It makes the displays more costly to maintain a higher standard...but there is a company willing to pay that cost, as they did with Samsung.

Biggdogg69

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
LG supplying is seriously old news. And their display ratio's are equivalent to Samsung's. The real news is that the iPhone X isn't being manufactured anymore. LCD model will out sell both the new OLED models, combined.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Love my LG OLED TV. It's 65" and cost less than two fully loaded Xs Maxes.

Different types of OLED. Those ones on TV are totally different to the ones on Mobile.

You should realize Apple has something QA. Apple Watches all ship with LG OLED.I haven’t seen any crazy problems with that.

Apple Watches hasn't been using solely LG OLED for a long time. Samsung gets some 20- 30% as well.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
not happy about this.
never liked LG displays,always better manufacturers available.Samsung,Sharp,Japan Display to name a few.
but LG probably cheaper and better for profit for Apple.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
not happy about this.
never liked LG displays,always better manufacturers available.Samsung,Sharp,Japan Display to name a few.
but LG probably cheaper and better for profit for Apple.

All that matters if it’s passes Apples stringent quality test(s) to be used for their iPhones. Apple has high standards with hardware quality, and the consumer knows that. Why don’t we give LG a fair chance here to see what they can offer before you chastise them.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Why would the issue of another device be magical for a an Apple device? And what makes you think that LG have not managed to improve the quality of their displays? You are trying to imply that Apple fans would just brush any issue under carpet and make it unexisting on an Apple products but to be honest from what I have seen Apple fans are some of the most vocal ones you would find. In case you have not noticed here, the forum is dominated by complains and negativity. Which I think quite often are valid but sometimes just laughable.

Ah you see, you called the vocal, negative ones Apple fans. At any other time the vocal ones on here are labelled either Samsung trolls or simply as haters. I get what you're saying but you've (inadvertently) demonstrated the double standards shown by many on here. That is what I was alluding to. ;)

Agree with some of the laughable comments though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.