LG Screen again on 3rd MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frocco, Oct 5, 2012.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Just got my third MBP and it is another LG display.

What should I do?

Thinking of exchanging it for a Mac Pro, but hate the fact it is a few years behind technology.

Has the LG issue been resolved?

Thanks

2. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

call applecare and tell them you want a Samsung screen!

3. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

How long does it take to get fixed?
    I just got it today and have 14 days left.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Just because it has an LG screen you dont want it? But you didnt state that anything was wrong with it.

Damn, first world problems.

5. leman macrumors G3

What appears to be the problem? Is your screen defective in any way? I also have an LG display and its very good.

6. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

I did not have a chance to check it out, (at work now).
    But I thought all LG screens will show IR in time.

Also, users are saying Samsung has a better display.

Am I being ms-informed?

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What might happen is that you expect the screen to be bad just because it's an LG, so your mind might give you the illusion that it's bad (finding tiny little things that are really nothing and nitpicking them to death) ;)

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes you are, both screens have issues and have been reported. I have an LG Screen and its flawless.

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Trying very hard not to start a rant right now...

At least look at the computer before you send it back. Not all LG screens show IR...there's quite a lot of people that are happy with them. There's also people that aren't amazingly happy with their Samsung screen because the colors aren't as nice, there's pixel problems, etc.

I can't believe we've gotten to the point where someone would return it before even looking at it. This has gotten to be ridiculous.

10. MasterRattler macrumors member

I got a LG screen and no problem......but I havent did that 30 min or whatever checkerboard test....why should I do it if I won't be using my computer like that ...if I eventually get IR, I will deal with it at that time . But, I'm not going to go digging to make it do something that I wouldn't do under normal use anyway.

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree

12. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

Ok, this is fair advise.
    I did not know Samsung screens were also having issues.
    due to all the posts, I did think IR would happen over time on the LG.

Honestly, I really like the MBP, that is why I ordered it.
    I did opt for the 16GB memory option.

Should I go ahead and test the screen?

Why test should I run?

Thanks

----------

I did not say I was going to return it without looking at it, I have not had a chance to look at it because I am at work. I just wanted to know if it should be returned based on it being an LG. Now I understand from this thread, that some LG screens can be fine.

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

That does not work. I tried. They can't promise anything. My bet (assumption) is that Samsung and Apple are a little sore at one another and supply chain dried up. I was lucky enough to get a a Samsung 15" cMBP screen on 2nd attempt as the hi-res cMBP LG screens suck too. Supper weird as LG's desktop panels are super good.

14. marddin macrumors 6502

This might be THE post of 2012. Thank you for that. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have an LG and mine is excellent.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I understand that you're at work and so you haven't looked at it yet; but you did ask what you should do and said you were considering exchanging it based on the fact that it has an LG screen. Your original post did make it sound like you wanted to return it without opening it at all...I wasn't the only one that got that impression.

16. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Don't believe everything on this forum ppl come here with problems if you want to know the truth or real world answers then you go to a Apple store and ask them if they got alot of returns on LG or Samsung screens...If you relay your judgment on these forums then you won't know the real answer and it will CONFUSE the crap out of you...hope that helps....

17. leman macrumors G3

If you put your display under a torture IR test, sure, it will show IR (after around 30 min). Mine sure does. It does not make it a bad display. Or do you expect to work with static checkerboard images for prolonged periods of time?

P.S. I had a rMBP with a Samsung display for a brief period of time. No idea whether it had IR (didn't test it). I like the LG one better - it has better black levels.

----------

Correction - some displays will be bad (no matter whether Samsung or LG). Work with your computer for a few days and then if there is a problem, you can always RMA it. For everything else there is warranty.

18. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I would agree with you I like the LG panel alot better since the black is alot deeper and then the Samsung Panel....Samsung has this yellowish tint where as it looks unnatural...the LG has a more realist color balance...LG is alot more natural and better on the eyes....NOT ALL LG HAVE IR issues...

19. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Odd that is the exact opposite of their standard panels (non-IPS). Samsung with velvety black levels. LG with the 300:1 contrast. Samsung at 800:1.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You want to exchange your super portable 15" Mac for a super heavy-duty desktop because you didn't get display made by a manufacturer that you like? What world are we in?! :confused:

I remember back in the day where people would return Dell displays made with Samsung MVA panels and try to get one with an LG S-IPS panel.