Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diveshrimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
I have had the LG 24" Ultrafine display for a while now and I've never been able to enable True Tone on it. I am using the Thunderbolt cable with my MBP (2020 version) and the tick box to enable True Tone on the LG never shows up. It does on the built-in display, and I do have both displays open at the same time i.e. not using it in clamshell mode with the lid shut.

I am wondering if it because of the cable, but am using a the Thunderbolt cable supplied plugged into a Thunderbolt port on the monitor. Any ideas? Everything else about the monitor is great!

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I am pretty sure that the True Tone check box you see to enable True Tone on the built in will enable/disable True Tone on the external as well. I don't get a True Tone check box on my externals--just on the built in. However, if I uncheck the option for True Tone on the built in, the color on the both the built in and on the externals rapidly changes to a much bluer hue.

I expected to post that it’s not supported but that is one of the very few screens supposed to work in the way you are trying (not in clamshell mode)

That has to be outdated information. True Tone works great with my Dell displays when my 16-inch has the clamshell open--close the clamshell and obviously True Tone gets disabled. Apparently it did not work this way until 10.15.6 was released.

diveshrimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
I am pretty sure that the True Tone check box you see to enable True Tone on the built in will enable/disable True Tone on the external as well. I don't get a True Tone check box on my externals--just on the built in. However, if I uncheck the option for True Tone on the built in, the color on the both the built in and on the externals rapidly changes to a much bluer hue.

That has to be outdated information. True Tone works great with my Dell displays when my 16-inch has the clamshell open--close the clamshell and obviously True Tone gets disabled. Apparently it did not work this way until 10.15.6 was released.
Yeah, you are correct.... I was expecting a TrueTone tick box for each display which is why I didn't think it was working, it is one tick box for all displays connected to a MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.