Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adh328

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Orange County, CA
Has anyone tried the 4k or 5k displays with the PS4 Pro? I use my monitor for my PS4 sometimes and want to be able to benefit from the Pro hardware if I want to. I would obviously use an adapter for HDMI.

riptidewahoo

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
This won't be possible since the only connection supported by the 5k monitor is Thunderbolt 3, which PS4 doesn't do. An HDMI adapter won't work for the 4k monitor because there are no controls on the monitor to turn it on or off. The only devices you can connect to these things are Macs.

What you CAN do is PS4 Remote Play to stream to your Mac - I do that and it works pretty well in 1080p.

C.clavin

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
I'd like to see someone try to hook up a PS4 Pro to a 5K using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. It might render at a 4K scaled image so it would probably blurry but what the heck?

slaWter

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2016
Switzerland
The 5K is a Thunderbold display. A USB-C adapter will not work. Just because they have the same connector does not mean that TB3 and USB-C are similar.
Plus I doubt that the AV Multiport Adatper is bi-directional for the HDMI stream.

adh328

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Orange County, CA
This won't be possible since the only connection supported by the 5k monitor is Thunderbolt 3, which PS4 doesn't do. An HDMI adapter won't work for the 4k monitor because there are no controls on the monitor to turn it on or off. The only devices you can connect to these things are Macs.

What you CAN do is PS4 Remote Play to stream to your Mac - I do that and it works pretty well in 1080p.
Remote play has way too much latency for me.

Has anyone actually tried this with any of the new displays? Please let me know!

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
Remote play has way too much latency for me.

Has anyone actually tried this with any of the new displays? Please let me know!
or you can use those game capture card. I know one called elegato (?) which has zero to none latency, even good for COD multiplayer.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Has anyone tried the 4k or 5k displays with the PS4 Pro? I use my monitor for my PS4 sometimes and want to be able to benefit from the Pro hardware if I want to. I would obviously use an adapter for HDMI.
No. Wont work.

There is no HDMI -> USB-C (for the 4K) and there is no HDMI -> TB3 (for the 5K).

If you want to use a monitor on your PS4, you'll need a different monitor. One with HDMI inputs (amongst others).

adh328

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Orange County, CA
No. Wont work.

There is no HDMI -> USB-C (for the 4K) and there is no HDMI -> TB3 (for the 5K).

If you want to use a monitor on your PS4, you'll need a different monitor. One with HDMI inputs (amongst others).

Check Apple's website. There is in fact a USB-C --> HDMI adapter.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Check Apple's website. There is in fact a USB-C --> HDMI adapter.
Yes, but that's not what I said. Please read it again (with all due respect). To use a monitor with only a USB-C input, a non-USB-C computer would need an HDMI --> USB-C (HDMI to USB-C), which is what the OP was asking. Such a thing doesn't exist. The adapters are not reversible.

adh328

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Orange County, CA
Yes, but that's not what I said. Please read it again (with all due respect). To use a monitor with only a USB-C input, a non-USB-C computer would need an HDMI --> USB-C (HDMI to USB-C), which is what the OP was asking. Such a thing doesn't exist. The adapters are not reversible.
That's kind of what i was asking... i was thinking you could plug in the adapter to the back of the monitor then run the hdmi to hdmi from the monitor (with the adapter) to the ps4.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Is there some place that says that? I just want a hard answer with some proof behind it. Preferrably if someone actually tries it...
I'm not sure it's published some place, but these simple video adapters are one-way. They will absolutely not convert an HDMI signal into a USB-C stream.

Kastatroy21

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
[doublepost=1539562610][/doublepost]have you tried it yet? I just ordered the LGMD5kB-B 27 inch and it should be here this week. I am ordering the usb-c thunderbolt to 4k HDMI 2.0 as well to see if everything works. I'll let you know if you haven't actually tried already.

JayCar

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
Houston, TX
[doublepost=1539562610][/doublepost]have you tried it yet? I just ordered the LGMD5kB-B 27 inch and it should be here this week. I am ordering the usb-c thunderbolt to 4k HDMI 2.0 as well to see if everything works. I'll let you know if you haven't actually tried already.

I'm curious to know what the outcome was. Thanks!

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

I am curious as well, did it work?

monrevne

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
Hi everybody, I just tried connect LG Ultrafine 5K and PS4 via type c cable + Apple adapter USB type C to HDMI.
Nothing happened - the monitor didn't even turn on

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Hi everybody, I just tried connect LG Ultrafine 5K and PS4 via type c cable + Apple adapter USB type C to HDMI.
Nothing happened - the monitor didn't even turn on
Normal.
  1. The LG UltraFine only understands DP Alt-Mode over USB-C.
  2. Most adapters (USB-C to HDMI for example) are unidirectional i.e. you can't use it to go HDMI to USB-C.
This Wacom adapter is proven to work with the UltraFine. Although the Wacom adapter has HDMI, it doesn't seem work with the UltraFine. Therefore you would also need a bidirectional HDMI to Mini Display Port to plug it to the Wacom. However I do not know of any bidirectional HDMI to Mini Display Port cables.

Therefore the only possible option would be using an adapter like this along with a cable like this.

Someone needs to order a bunch of adapters try and return what doesn't work. I went through 7 adapters before finding one that works with my work Windows laptop over mini DP.

JayCar

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
Houston, TX
I have an LG Ultrafine 5K (connected to MBpro) and I can tell you that you can use any adapter configuration you want to physically connect it, but you will not get the display to turn on unless it's connected to a Mac, period. Nothing else will send the correct display signal. It was designed specifically to connect to the mac and they ensured this would be the case. Not to sound like a jerk on this, but it simply won't work as others have stated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.