Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I was considering the purchase of the LG Ultrafine 4K and noticed that it seems to get very little attention from reviewers or people on this forum. So I thought that I would start this thread to see if anyone on here owned this monitor and what their opinion of it was.

Happy New Year!

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Are there no owners out there that want to share their experiences? I would be very interested to hear what people made of these new screens before I bought one.

Last edited:

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I'm returning my LG 4K and buying the 5K.

No camera, USB 2.0 speeds and the smaller size are bothering me.

Thank you for that. I was wondering whether the screen would feel too small for me after having a 5k iMac. The 5k screen just feels so expensive though...

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
That it is. But I spend quite a few hours each day on my MacBook so I'm the long run, it will be worth it.

The 4K is a very nice display, but I just found it a little too small. Here is a picture next to the 15" MacBook. Not much of a difference tbh.

Attachments

• IMG_4617.JPG
    IMG_4617.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,457

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
image.jpg
Love it! I put it on an arm and really enjoy the extra screen which I can position wherever I want. I used to having ave a 15" PowerBook, got claustrophobic at the screen size, then an iMac. What I have now is the best of both worlds - screen size plus the portability of a laptop.

Reactions: Royksöpp

mds1256

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
That it is. But I spend quite a few hours each day on my MacBook so I'm the long run, it will be worth it.

The 4K is a very nice display, but I just found it a little too small. Here is a picture next to the 15" MacBook. Not much of a difference tbh.

Nice desk setup!

Sorry a bit off topic but quick question, what light strip you using on the desk?

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
UK

That's a very neat setup. I aspire to such neatness :)

It's a shame that it doesn't look significantly different to the 15" MacBook Pro in terms of size.
[doublepost=1483301569][/doublepost]
View attachment 681179
Love it! I put it on an arm and really enjoy the extra screen which I can position wherever I want. I used to having ave a 15" PowerBook, got claustrophobic at the screen size, then an iMac. What I have now is the best of both worlds - screen size plus the portability of a laptop.

So is that the LG 4k? Apologies for being dense.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Been using it for a while now. My overall reaction is "meh".
  • Panel is very nice but too cool/red when next to the warm panels in the MacBook Pros - it's quite off putting really
  • Having some sleep/wake issues occasionally
  • Stand footprint is excessive lengthways wasting desk space - it's like a Pingu foot! :p
  • The speakers are bloody awful and the volume scale is just plain wrong
  • No cable management
The USB 2-only ports doesn't bother me because I only have iDevices plugged into them anyway and they still don't support USB 3 yet (even the 12.9" iPad Pro only supports USB 3 with the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter).

Overall, it's good enough to not regret the purchase, but it is making me think twice about buying the LG 5K in the future as I was intending.

IMG_4230.JPG

Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Excuse the bump, but I have a few questions.

How is performance with a 13 inch MacBook Pro? I also have a 25 inch Dell UP2516D at 2k. I plan to use both. Does anyone use this monitor along with another monitor with a 13 inch MBP?

heifetz7

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
just bought a 4k refurb from amazon (woot). It's a great upgrade for <$300. I don't think there's much else you can get at that price point that is as good, unless you're ok with a larger screen. I love being able to just plug in one cable, and everything works. You can also adjust the brightness from the keyboard as well. I never thought I'll be ok with a laptop / dock setup, but this works great so far with my macbook 13". If you have money to spend on the 5k, go for it, but this costs much less and is a good placeholder until the 5k price drops.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Have it, really like it. Bigger is always better but I have a 27” 2560 as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.