LG Ultrafine 5K Display Unboxing + Setup!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Michaelgtrusa, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

LG Ultrafine 5K Display Unboxing + Setup!

2. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Here's why I think Apple didn't make their own 5K Display:

1.) They don't want to make products without processors anymore - no standalone displays, hard drives/routers, etc --- fine I guess, if they don't want to continue to take our money and update these things every 2 years

2.) While Thunderbolt 3 has made 5K over a single cable possible, it is far from the perfect setup mainly because Thunderbolt 3 still uses DisplayPort 1.2. This means MST (multi-stream transport) using two-tiles to display the 5K image, which is fine, but the 1.2 spec limitation also consumes so much bandwidth on that single cable that it forces the remaining USB-C ports on the display to throttle down to USB 3 speeds (NOT Thunderbolt 3 as Marques mistakenly says in the video). Apple's old Thunderbolt Display also featured an additional Thunderbolt port for an additional display to daisy chain or a Thunderbolt external drive at full Thunderbolt speeds. This is not possible with this new display. I hope in the future, when Thunderbolt incorporates DisplayPort 1.3, Apple considers releasing their own display again given the more useful and elegant setup it will allow.

Lastly, I just wish they convinced LG to build this display with more attractive aesthetics. LG makes much more attractive displays than this one with thin bezels and more inspiring stands. Surprised Apple would want to be associated with such a run of the mill, black plasticy design. The thicker upper forehead bezel makes it even worse. If LG built this in the same design as the LG 27UD88, I'd consider it, but just can't buy this display.

3. user74246 macrumors member

With “inspiring stands” you mean the fake aluminium plastic stands? You really liking those better than the matte black plastic with solid metal combo of the UltraFine?

4. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Fair enough, they both aren't great.

5. RedDamme macrumors member

I was curious. I want to ditch my iMac for MacBook Pro 2016 + PS4 + LG 5K monitor.
    Is it possible to connect PS4 to the LG monitor?

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

you can ONLY use a mac with TB3 running os x sierra with this display, not even any other TB3 computers. so as of right now, only the new 2016 mbps will be able to run this display, nothing else.

One of the big downside of the apple TBD is not being able to put it on an arm. Looking forward to purchase this 5K and put it on an arm and using it with my LG 27 4k.

7. hiker- macrumors newbie

Where did you get that information from? Was trying to get more information about that myself but haven't really found anything...
    I'd hope that they have at least a driver that works with Window running in boot camp.

8. Ryan0751 macrumors regular

Some folks who've received the 4K model have tried it with Windows and a TB2 adapter and it didn't work. The 5K may be different, but seems unlikely.

9. ra004e, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016

ra004e macrumors regular

I currently have a intel NUC using Ubuntu 16.10 ( kernel 4.9rc6 )

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i7kyk-features-configurations.html

connected via USB-C

Working:
    • 3840 × 2160 @ 60 Hhz ( looks great but I can tell it's not 1:1 pixel mapping )
    • Can only get 4096 x 2304 @ 30 Hhz ( still trying other frequencies )
      I think resolution could be linux intel driver issue and will follow up with them.
    • USB audio
    Not working/issues:
    • When monitor goes to sleep, is does not come back on unless USB-C is unplugged and plugged back in.
    • Of course no brightness control. ( hacking at acdcontrol ) http://acdcontrol.sourceforge.net/ have it recognizing monitor but still hacking at getting brightness information from display.
    • USB audio volume adjustment not working.
    I will install Windows 10 on it in the next few days and see how that goes. Will return.

10. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Its under system requirement on apple's website. There are no physical controls at all, its all done through sierra.

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 10.06.14 PM.png

11. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I'm debating if I should get this or wait for a proper single tile 60hz 5K display.

12. PatriotInvasion, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016

PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

My take is that there is virtually no [local/non-eBay] resale market for non-Apple displays so if you drop a grand on this thing you're probably stuck with it for the life of it.

I'm waiting for an update to the 5K iMac before I decide what I want to do. macOS Sierra makes owning multiple Macs so much easier than its ever been, and if they bring back target display mode on the iMac with Thunderbolt 3, there is your Apple branded 5K display.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2016 ---
    No. While you can convert Thunderbolt/USB-C/DisplayPort IN to HDMI, you cannot go the other way around. That means no HDMI-OUT device like PS4 will work with this display. For that setup, get the LG 27UD88...which has both USB-C for the MacBook and an HDMI port for the PS4.

13. jObooW macrumors member

Me too. But would the 2016 MBP be able to run a single tile 60hz 5K display as it only has DisplayPort 1.2?

14. Ryan0751 macrumors regular

Oh good. THat is somewhat promising!

15. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Nope. That's the thing, we'd have to get a new laptop with Thunderbolt 4. I guess it's possible that there may be a thunderbolt 3 revision to support DP 1.3, but that's unlikely.

Regardless of that, you would have to get a new laptop.

I reckon that it'll be 1-2+ years until we get thunderbolt (possibly v4) with DisplayPort 1.3. It's a big shame that we have to wait that long for a standalone single tile display.

That's what makes the iMac 5K ahead of its time. It's the only single tile 5K display available and for probably the next 1-2yrs.

I'd like to see the Ultrafine 5K in person to determine if the tearing is a real issue.

16. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

why? there is no difference to the end user if its single or multiple.

17. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

MST monitors can show signs of tearing, which is why I want to see the Ultrafine 5K in person.

18. svendobbelaere macrumors member

Are you talking about the Apple Thunderbolt display? Because you can attach that to a VESA_mount arm, Apple sells an adapter kit for that for 39 dollars (a dongle ;)). I've used it on thunderbolt displays and it works well.

Link: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...ed-cinemaor-applethunderbolt-display?fnode=8a

19. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Similar situation - I really want a three 5K display setup but I'm not a fan of the looks of the LG. But Apple seems to be out of the display business. Three iMacs would be too expensive, especially with the price rise we will probably see in the UK.

And you make a good point about the resale value:
    • If I go down the LG option, I guess I would have to place the order by December 31st to get the 25% discount. That means two displays sitting dormant until the iMac update.
    • Their resale value will be very low with their limited compatibility.
    • If I go down the three iMacs route, then their resale value will be very strong. Maybe I could even argue that their better residual will offset the initial purchase price. And the aesthetics are far superior.
    Decisions, decisions...

20. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Bingo. The 2016 MacBook Pros with this version of Thunderbolt 3 (with DisplayPort 1.2) will not be able to run a future 5K SST (single-stream transport) display once DisplayPort 1.3 is available. I also wonder if Thunderbolt 3 will get spec-bumped to DisplayPort 1.3 at some point, as it seems like it would be much cleaner and less confusing to align the DisplayPort versions with Thunderbolt versions, as was originally intended.

As for the 5K iMac, from everything I have read, it also is a multi-tile display; however, Apple was able to configure a custom TCON and what appears to be a custom Frankenstein-like use of embedded DisplayPort to enable the bandwidth for 5K. But the beauty of the iMac is that all of that stuff is internal and enclosed away from the consumer's eye. All we have to do is enjoy the 5K image in all it's glory. With anything external, Apple and other brands must adhere to the standards of DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 3 and thus subject to all it's current limitations.

21. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

have you seen this tearing in person or there are rampant reports? if not, this is definitely something I wouldn't worry about.

22. hussainh1 macrumors regular

How did this guy get his? Is he an avid journalist? I can't wait to even be able to order...

23. PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Avid YouTube tech voice that gets a million views per video.