LG UltraFine 5k Display with MacBook Pro (Late 2016) lags and stutters?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by w-f, Jan 25, 2017.

1. w-f macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am operating the new LG UltraFine 5k Display on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) with:

2,9 GHz Intel Core i5
    16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB

I am experiencing slow "reactions", stutters, some (mouse, window animation) lags.
    Attached you find my display settings.

Is anybody also experiencing the same behaviour with their LG UltraFine 5k? The MacOS just does not feel very responsive when the Macbook is plugged in to the LG...

Right now I am super unhappy with it :( I am thinking to switch back to my Apple Thunderbolt Display - where at least everything is very responsive and the display does not slow down the whole system.

Looking forward to any input, tipps and feedback from you guys!

Best,
    Florian

Attached Files:

2. pookitoo macrumors regular

pookitoo

I've read in some other post that you can test with the Belkin thunderbolt cable, or put in the native resolution, in extended display (not the mirroring)

ps: I'm waiting to receive the 5K LG in 2 days, I 've the 13 inch MacBook Pro 2016 (with touchbar) but with I7 processor and 16gb ram). And I've order the Belkin cable. I can say to you in 2 days what is my feeling ;)

3. econ macrumors newbie

econ

How much stutter is there? I have some stutter when I have more than 6, 7 windows open. I have a lot of stutter using Better Touch Tool. I have lots lots lots of stutter with softwares that are traditionally not optimized for Mac OS (prime offender right now is LyX). I have some stutter scrolling PDFs on Preview.

I can live with it but I also understand if you can't.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

To be fair, much of this can be traced back to the laptop pushing that many pixels COMBINED with you're scaling those pixels, too. So this is even more work. Have you tried running it at "native" mode (i.e. 2560x1440 effective), rather than scaled?

I have the entry TouchBar 13" with only 8GB RAM, and it runs pretty fine with the 5K display at native 1440p Retina.

5. w-f thread starter macrumors newbie

Some stutter! Sure it is not super dramatic. But the whole OS just feels not very responsive. For my workflow a lot of times very frustrating.
    And yes you are right the more windows I have opened the more stutter I have.

But honestly I am not willing to live with the stutter for a LG or Apple premium product.

Yes in native mode it is slightly better.

6. samparmenter macrumors 6502

This is a bit of a worry as I would like to get one of these but if the UI and the OS in general slow down thats a big issue.

7. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Do you have your macbook lid open or closed?

8. pookitoo macrumors regular

pookitoo

Hello, I ve receive my lg 5k today :

I ve disable transparency and reduce effect in accessibility because without that some lagging effect in native mode with some effect
    Everything run smoothly when you do some basic stuff
    When I open a big project in sketch app, so slowdown' very laggy zoom ...
    bad experience and when the evening came , with the black background some leak light ...........

9. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

That's good to hear. I disable all the visual flair by default anyway. It's not worth the lag.

I disable transparency, hide/show dock, magnify dock, and genie effect.

10. w-f thread starter macrumors newbie

Closed!