LG UltraFine 5K successor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by waring192, Aug 30, 2018.

1. waring192 macrumors member

Hello all,

I recently upgraded my 2013 Retina MacBook Pro base model (8gb ram & 128gb storage) to the new 15" MacBook Pro (16gb ram & 512gb storage). I am thrilled with it so far but no doubt I will have some headaches regarding the lack of ports so am looking into a USB C hub at some point.

I also have a year old iMac 5K which I don't really use that much now. In fact to be honest it never really got that much usage at all. So I was thinking of selling the iMac, getting a Magic Mouse 2, keyboard and purchasing a external monitor or two instead.

What I would like to know is if there is any change a newer version of the current LG UltraFine 5K display or if there is a possibility Apple might come out with a updated thunderbolt display?

Many thanks in advance.

2. elektrobug macrumors member

Apple is working on a new monitor to be released together with new Mac Pro. Might be an 8K model, so it won’t be cheap.

3. MRrainer macrumors 65816

4. maxsquared macrumors regular

Depend on what they are going to do next. I have an UltraFine 5K it looks amazing, though now I kinda regret having it. Main reason being I want to hook up an eGPU with it for my video editing, but the choice of eGPU that will work with the UltraFine is very limited - like only 1 in the market. And it's not a very good one, I am now thinking of trade it for a new HDR 4k screen accepts HDMI or DisplayPort.

5. waring192 thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, where are you based if you go down the trade route? Would be interested in buying it from you.