LG Ultrafine 5K vs Apple Led Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fpenta, Jan 4, 2017.

1. fpenta macrumors member

Hey everyone!
    Yesterday I got my new MacBook Pro 15" 2.9/1TB/460. It's awesome! I don't have any issues and the battery looks great.
    I Have a 27" Apple Led Cinema Display (with mini display port) that I was using with my previous MacBook Pro 2009. I'm not really sure if it's worth the upgrade to the LG Ultrafine 5K.
    I have also a desktop windows computer that sometimes I connect to the Apple Cinema Display. (I guess I won't be able to do it with the LG Ultrafine).

The things that I like about the LG are the 5K resolution for photo editing and overall the perfect match with the new MacBook Pro for the connectivity with only 1 Thunderbolt cable.
    I don't really like the build quality and the thing that I can't connect it to the windows computer (I can connect it to a Samsung tv anyway)

The things that I like about the Apple Cinema Display are that I can use the USB-A ports on the rear of the monitor, the build quality and that I can use it with the desktop computer.
    The things that I don't like are that my desk is a mess with all those cables and dongles to connect it and mainly its age.

I could sell the Apple for 600€ and get the 5K LG for 400€ more.
    What would you do?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If your Cinema display is still working fine, you might consider using it for a few more months.

I believe there will be many more "display choices" available in 4-6 months...

3. fpenta thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.
    Yes but I like the fact that Apple worked together with LG for the new MacBook Pro. I'd also want to take advantage of the special price of 1049€ until March 31st. In Europe the original price is € 1399.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---
    It's still unclear if it will work on a PC desktop with the right adapters. I have a GTX 780.

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

it will NOT work with a PC. its stated on the product description as well as on the box that it requires a mac with TB 3 running sierra. Just like you can't hook up a PC to the TBD, you can't hook up a PC to the 5K ultrafine.

5. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

It only works with Thunderbolt 3 and the monitor has NO BUTTONS on it, not even a power button. It might work with a PC with TB3 but good luck changing any settings. I own one and I will say that once you use one in person other displays look like garbage.