LG UltraFine with DisplayPort?

HelloAgain16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
Hello alltogether,
I've got a little question concerning my new display. I would like to have an eGPU to power my LG UltraFine 5K Display and I always thought I need one of those RTX Founders Edition Cards with the USB-C Port to be able to drive it because the display only got a USB-C connector. But can I also use a DisplayPort to USB-C cable to drive the LG? Or is that another kind of signal that the UltraFine can't handle. Because if DisplayPort works, I wouldn't have to get the Founders Edition necessarily! Thanks for your answers!

fiatlux

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
As far as I know there were two versions of the
LG UltraFine 5K Display: the first could only be driven by a Thunderbolt 3 source, the second one would also accept a USB-C Alternate mode input but only up to 4K.

The USB-C connector on the
RTX Founders Edition Cards does not seem to offer Thunderbolt 3 but Virtualink which seems to be a variation of
Alternate mode, which means it would only work with v2 of the display and only up to 4K.

HelloAgain16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for your reply! So I have the Version 2 of the LG Display and 4k@60 would be enough for my purpose! So the VirtualLink would work right? But what if I try it with DisplayPort? Has anyone got experience with that?

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
I use the 5k DisplayPort to type-c by moshi. Apple sells it on their site as well. I use it with an eGPU (rx580) and it outputs 5k on Mac and 4K in bootcamp (may work with default bootcamp video drivers but I use others). The downside is you can’t control the monitor brightness or volume with the DisplayPort cable like you could with a typical thunderbolt 3 cable. At least I have not found a way.