LG Voyager or LG Dare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gan6660, Aug 22, 2008.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I know I shouldnt be posting this here but I am getting a new phone and cant decide between a voyager or the dare. I would get an iPhone but at&t doesnt work where i live. Also the Voyager in titanium is the only one available online and I dont know if I like the color and the Voyager is already a year old so it could be replaced soon.

2. Linuss macrumors regular

What about T-mobile? Do they work where you are?

If so--- iPhone.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Get the v1 iPhone, UL, JB then get SIM card for T-Mobile or Centennial or anyone else that is compatible with the iPhone. Good luck, the iPhone should still be an option...:cool:

4. nintendude macrumors 6502

Yea but the prices for v1 iPhone are still very high

I suggest getting the Dare as the Voyager has had a few problems

5. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

No its only verizon but maybe when my contract ends next AT&T will be better or T-MOBILE and I can get the iPhone

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

If you need a full qwerty keyboard, get the voyager, otherwise get the dare.

7. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

i've read the voyager is close to worthless and the dare is not bad

maybe you could, i don't know, do some research, read some reviews :eek:

8. shdowman macrumors member

Not sure if I can post this...

But a good phone resource is on howardforums.com

I have had both phones personally and I like the dare if you are looking for the touch screen only. Only reason I dont have an iPhone is because I refuse to go to AT&T. (damn verizon for not picking up the iPhone when offered to them)

If you do a ton of texting, get the voyager or wait for the blackberry bold.

9. psychosis macrumors newbie

Hmm, I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago (turned out they were able to replace my current phone for the same model after all, so I decided to wait until December when I get a better upgrade, but maybe my research will not be in vain), and I looked through howardforums.com and phonearena.com and countless others, and then went to the store a couple of times and played with the phones for a while (actually, more like was forced to wait in the store for hours, but that's Verizon)... and I think I like the Dare. I'll probably get it in December, unless the opinion of the phone has turned sour by then from extensive use.
    The pros and cons that I have found for the Voyager:
    • If you need to type extensively for any reason and need actual keys to do so, obviously this is a better choice
    • Phone is easy to work with, relatively easy to open as well
    • Didn't like the lack of an accelerometer which forces you to be stuck in one mode while browsing
    • Muffled sound while closed
    For the Dare:
    • Smaller than Voyager, which could go either way depending on how you like your phones
    • No keyboard (again, may or may not be important to you)
    • Best camera yet on a VZW phone
    • Pricey
    Obviously, neither's browsing experience is going to be that of an iPhone, but that's not the question here, so I wouldn't touch on that...

10. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Thanks everyone I went with the Dare since only the silver Voyager is available and I thought the Dare screen is alot more responsive.

11. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

I was in the same situation, but I figured it out. Just buy a phone like the Decoy, or the Chocolate then use the money you would have spent on a more expensive phone on an iPod touch. So that way you have a phone that's good at calling w/ a real keyboard and an Apple PDA which has a superior browsing experience than any phone VZW offers.

I would never buy the iphone because I'm the type of person who uses the phone a lot and listens to my ipod almost religiously throughout the day. I don't like to put my eggs all in one basket. Also (and very luckily) my college has an extremely fast (I'm talking N speed) network throughout their entire campus. So the only time I don't have internet is when I'm commuting - but I'm not the type to surf while driving.

12. 1800collect macrumors newbie

I like my Dare, it does a decent job. Not as smooth as an iPhone, but my battery actually lasts more than a day. I also get great calling and no drops. The browser is no where near as good as the iPhones, but I keep a stylus (I bought a Nintendo DS 3 pack) with me and it makes the browser much more usable. The problem with the browser is it's a little slow at times and clicking can be impossible with fingers, but the stylus makes it much easier.

The Dare also is much different in touch than the iPhone. The iPhone you can just lightly scroll and it reacts instantly. The Dare is much more of a dragging motion. It took me a day to get use to, but it works fine. Also you can text with the keyboard horizontally, which doesn't seem possible on the iPhone.

The Dare monthly plan also seems cheaper than at AT&T. I have a family plan and I think I pay like $60 for my Dare with the $15 VPAK (wireless internet and all the Verizon on demand videos available). Plus it seems any game you download now costs MB usage. The VZ Navigator also works quite well. I just buy 1 day purchases when I need it ($2.99), which isn't very often since I can just google map it with the browser.

Again it nowhere compares to the iPhone (especially with how it syncs up with a Mac), but I think it does a better job at just being an actual phone.

Just my 2 cents.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not sure about the Dare, but I haven't heard too many good things about the Voyager, most reviews say its pretty bad.

14. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I was thinking about the decoy but wanted a touch screen phone and I would never buy a chocolate again I owned the first one and It lasted about 1.5-2 months before i had to get a new one and this was reocurring. Also I already ready own an iPod Touch.

15. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

My brothers friend has a Voyager and I find it to be pretty decent. I've used the Dare many times and it is relatively slow and unresponsive at times. If I were you, I would go with the Voyager.