Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
Hello all,

I couldn't find a cell phone forum that isn't iPhone related so I figure I would post here since it has to do w/ mac's and the OS. If there is a more appropriate forum the powers to be can move it :)

ANYWAY! So I just purchased a new LG VX9900 and I was wondering if anyone has had any experiances with this phone. Also I was wondering if anyone could help me out with any suggestions on how to transfer ringtones, wallpapers, etc.

Thanks in advance!

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I have that phone, and I love it. Have been working on trying to copy my calendar from iCal to the phone, and have been led to BitPim. Seems like it will work -- it does support that phone, but I am having cable problems. Neither the bluetooth nor the cable will allow BitPim to recognize my phone. Still working on that. Not the best software, it seems, but since iSync does not support any LG phones, we have to make do.

Please post back if you find out anything outside of this forum. I am really interested as well. If I get BitPim working, I'll post back too.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
My wife bought the silver LG VX9900 a few months back, and BitPim works great to transfer pictures, sounds, ringtones, calendar... all via data cable.

I just bought the orange version myself a few days ago, and it is locked!!!! I can't even sync the friggin calendar (I think you need to subscribe to their sync service, what a ripp-off...also not sure if it works with anything but Outlook) :mad:

The only way I managed to transfer a ringtone was to bluetooth it into my sound folder and then sms it to myself. A bit complicated and expensive.

I am probably going to exchange my phone for a silver one in the thin hope that I can get my hands on an 'older' version.

MonkeyMan042788

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Video Transfer/converter

Anyone know how to convert and send videos over the phone? Like for example, if I have a video on iMovie, how to go step by step to send it over. Also anyone have any good ways of creating personal ringtones?

:apple:MonkeyMan

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Not sure about the videos, but I found out that you need the very latest BitPim version to access any new LG phones. It is still in testing but available here http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=75211&package_id=76673

You can import .wav files into BitPim and use a data cable to transfer them to your phone:

1.From iTunes, export a song as .wav.
2.In BitPim, select your media-ringtones folder and click on the 'add music' icon. Pick a song, select convert... this takes a while, then set the range you want and select ok.
3.Once you have converted all the music you want, send it to your phone (Send Phone Data).
4.Done.

Don't know if BitPim works through Bluetooth... I still need to look into that.

abstert

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Santa Clara, CA
Found a way to make it work

I found a way to send the mp3 ringtones through an email. All you have to do is send the ringtone in an email to "yourphonenumber@vzwpix.com". Then, you can save it to your phone's ringtone gallery. Let me know if it works.

cor150

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
Thanks!

I found a way to send the mp3 ringtones through an email. All you have to do is send the ringtone in an email to "yourphonenumber@vzwpix.com". Then, you can save it to your phone's ringtone gallery. Let me know if it works.

This worked for me like a charm! Thanks for the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.