LG34UM95 Dead On Arrival

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ticotoo, Jul 8, 2014.

1. ticotoo macrumors member

I finally got my 34um95 today from B&H Photo after 2 months of waiting. Immediately upon powering up & not plugged in to the MacBookPro (early 2013 15"retina) it was evident that it was a defective screen (photo 1). The purple jellyfish blob remained when plugged into the MBP (thunderbolt) photo2. I called B&H & they immediately issued a RMA & return shipping label without question. So far B&H has been great. Hopefully it continues. I'm trying once more to see if I can get a good monitor. If the second one is defective, I'll get a refund & wait for the Apple refresh. At this point I can't recommend this monitor to anybody because of the very poor manufacturing quality control or design & insufficient factory inspection.

Attached Files:

2. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

Damn LG need to up their quality control standards. All this backlight bleed and now the jellyfish. Apple's displays would never let this pass.

3. ranmyaku macrumors newbie

Man that sucks. I've also been waiting about 1.5 months for a monitor from Adorama. Hopefully I get a good one.

4. ticotoo thread starter macrumors member

34um95 doa

Hopefully your monitor will be ok. I have heard about various screen problems others have had, so who knows. So far B&H Photo has been great, we will see what happens after the receive the monitor on Fri. I have never ordered anything from Adorama. If you do have problems, I hope they are easy to work with.

5. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

I waited a month for mine. :(
    When it did arrive, the monitor was making a strange clicking/ticking
    sound every 15 seconds or so. Like a static discharge.

Didn't feel comfortable with it, don't want it blowing up in my face.
    So its been returned. Not sure if I should buy another one or not? :confused:

[​IMG]

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, that is one big monitor - sorry to hear about the problems though :(

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I would get another, or wait for Dell or AOC.

8. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

I'm thinking of getting the Asus PA279Q 27" or Dell 3014 30".
    I'm bit worried about LG's quality now. :(

9. RJSAudio macrumors newbie

Just got mine today (also from B&H), and everything is working great for me. Looks like I got lucky.

10. Dahkot macrumors member

As a sys engineer and gamer (PC for that OS X and every windows OS going back to NT 3.51 for work) , I got a Dell 3014 last Jan from Amazon for about 950.

Has been my favorite monitor in a long time going back to the 21" Trinitron when it was the best to have at that time.

Good amount of space , made well, 3 year advanced replacement warranty also comes with them at no extra charge. Highly recommend it.

I'm really looking forward to 4k screens etc , but likely am putting off replacing the 3014 for my main monitor till next summer/fall and letting manufacturers work out all the kinks.

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

There are some expected IPS glow issues, as well as some persistent problems with backlight bleed. However, I wouldn't get too worked up about a DOA. These are extremely large, delicate items to ship. They arrive with a pack-in sheet with calibration measurements. There is no way to ensure that displays get from that stage of testing to every consumer's desk with 100% success.

If I eliminated a potential purchase because someone on a forum received a DOA, I'd never be able to buy anything.

12. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

I'm still worried about purchasing another 34UM95. :confused:
    I feel like trying my luck with the Asus / Dell instead this time.

Are you using the Dell with a Mac of some sort?
    Only reason I'm asking is cause I'm worried about the fuzzy blurry text
    issue regarding the RGB mode problem.

13. Acorn, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

The 34um95 is still a sweet monitor. you really cant get similar specs with a dell or asus and pictures definitely dont do it justice. Its also way less stress on your machine compared to a 4k monitor. Even with peoples occasional complaints if I had something other then an imac I would still be interested in the lg.

it reminds me of before I bought my second generation 21ux. It was widespread everywhere of people getting multiple dead pixels on their screens. THey couldnt keep up with demand and quality control seemed to be a real issue with dead pixels. Its like they sent everything through to keep up. I got one on sale and low and behold no dead pixels. I prefer this screen to the 22 hd so im glad I took the risk.

14. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

I really loved it too, everything was perfect except for the quality issue. :(
    Probably just unlucky. :confused:

But I couldn't even get through to LG to ask for replacement or help.
    The website just wouldn't load and crash out on me :roll eyes:

I really couldn't take 2 disappointments in a row, :confused:
    so I decided to try something else. And maybe come back
    to this when its settled down a little or when revision 2 comes out.

15. brentsg macrumors 68040

16. HFoletto macrumors member

Is the Revision 2 the model with the "-P" at the end of the model number?

I'm wondering why does it is called "34UM95-P" and not just "34UM95" on the US site here.

17. brentsg, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

brentsg macrumors 68040

I don't think it has anything to do with the P. Mine just says Rev. 2 and was made in June.

Edit: I'm too lazy to edit the photo but I double checked, definitely Rev 2.

18. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Rev 2??? Mine Rev 00, made in June 2014.
    I brought mine July 1st literally. So pretty damn new.
    Maybe I'll come back in a few months time
    and hopefully the stock will be newer and price would have
    dropped a little. Don't want to buy another dodgy one twice in a row. :(

[​IMG]

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

As an FYI, MassDrop is planning on doing a drop for the commercial version of this monitor, the 34UM94-P.

It will have a black case and includes a 3yr warranty. Price is expected to be $800 (assuming the buyer requirement is met).

20. FinalCutJay macrumors member

That sucks about your DoA monitor. I got mine from B&H on tuesday and so far the monitor has been great all around. The only thing that bugs me is the power cuts off to the USB when you turn the screen off. This means hard drives dismount and the keyboard stops working.

21. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Maybe I'll buy it again when there's a deal. :p
    And I'll try and check which Revision it is. :(
    Here in the UK there's only 1 or 2 online retailer that sells it at the moment. :confused:

Decided to go for the ASUS PA279Q for the time being. :rolleyes:

22. FinalCutJay macrumors member

Thought I had a perfectly working monitor but after reading about the backlight issues I decided to check it out. Damn it's really bad. Should I try to return this?When you're not viewing all black the monitor really is amazing and the size is unreal.

Attached Files:

23. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

As I told someone in another thread, make sure you are seeing IPS glow. Many are confusing that with bleed.

If you often use your display in a way similar to your photo, then you should return it.

24. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

You do realize that Apple doesn't make displays. Apple contracts others like LG and Samsung to provide its displays. For that matter most of the parts that go into Apple devices are by others. Like anything there will always be defective parts. I believe the saying '****** happens' applies. If you read other parts of this forum you will see their are plenty of Apple design devices that are defective.

25. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

Oh yeah I know that Apple doesn't make the panels etc. Totally get that. Yes there's just bad luck - but surely LG could test these displays before they get shipped out? Unless something happened to it in transit?