LG5k owners- how does it look on old tb2 hardware?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chfilm, Jan 9, 2017.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

hi,

So the Lg 5K can be attached to older computers like 2015 MacBooks or the nMP via a TB2-TB3 adapter.
    Can anyone please take some pix, a video of maybe even just describe how the picture looks like in such a setup?
    I'm having a hard time imagining it would look any good, reading that it's being upscale from 4K thunderbolt 2 Signal to 5k inside the display.

But if there'll be a new Mac Pro later this year, and if the image right now looks good enough (like maybe a 4K screen scaled to 1440p), id love to snap 2 of these LGs right now while they're rebated.

My Apple Store doesn't have them on display, so please, can anyone try this out?

2. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

I did find this review:
    http://www.colincornaby.me/2016/12/lg-ultrafine-5k-review/

Intersting:
    "The display looked too good to be 2560×1440, but I also knew the display couldn’t be rendering at 5k. A quick test app written in Xcode also revealed that the display was rendering at 2x Retina scale. So what was going on?

I downloaded SwitchResX which revealed something very interesting about how Apple handles the LG Ultrafine on older Macs. Apple is rendering the screen at 5k, but then downsampling it to 4k and sending it to the display. So my computer acts as if it is attached to a 5k display, even though it can push a 4k image. That’s a really clever enhancement that almost makes this display worth it for older Mac owners. Even with only 4k output, it could be a great drop in replacement for an Apple Thunderbolt Display, with a noticeable increase in image quality and P3 support (with a bit of help from SwitchResX.) Apple has clearly thought about the Apple Thunderbolt Display sized hole that is being left in their lineup for Macs that haven’t rolled over from Thunderbolt 2 yet."

3. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Wow. That sounds very exciting. I don't fully understand though what it means.
    So basically the same thing like with any attached 4k monitor happens, only that in the end the display is upscaling again to 5k. We already knew that.
    But how does it actually look? (compared to a true 4k monitor)
    Ok, he says it's a clear upgrade, but couldn't he have bothered to post some pictures??

4. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

I was going to cancel my order but the shipping date moved to early next week so I will hook it up and try to post some pics.

5. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

That'd be absolutely great.
    Right now I'm in a dilemma:
    I have the two dells here, but can return them for 14 days.
    I still have the TB Displays, but someone wants to buy them both immediately for 1250 €.
    I want the LGs actually, if they look at least as good as the DELL, as far as IQ goes. (Just to futureproof). But they have a shipping time of 4-6 weeks. Placed an order just in case now anyway.

But If i send the TB Displays away now, and then return the dells in 2 weeks, I'll be without a monitor for a month, wich is unacceptable. So I need to see pictures, or hopefully better with my own eyes next week in the apple store.

6. Dingdingding macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, on a MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2014 there was no way to get the 4K output working at all on an UltraFine 5K using the correct dongles and converters. The support document said it would work, but it simply didn't. Apple Support was completely clueless and had no idea on how to make 4K possible. Highest it would go was 3200x1600, not 4K, which is way too blurry for daily operation.

7. defean macrumors newbie

I checked out the LG 5K at an Apple Store in Germany today. Here it's the same like in the US, the LGs are hooked up to Mac Minis and Mac Pros, but not to the 2016 MBPs. A colleague was told by an Apple store employee earlier this week, that they are instructed to display the monitors like that and have no choice, which is.... ummm... interesting...

On the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini, I could verify the following:
    Sound adjustment of the build in LG speakers is working via the keyboard.
    Brightness adjustment is working via the keyboard, although it is very slow (even the Apple guy was surprised by it)
    The build in Display camera is working
    (I couldn't verify, that the USB hub is working, might go back for that.)

Image quality... I couldn't directly compare it to a LG in 5k mode or the 5K iMac. I went through all 5 scaling modes and all I can say, is that I was really impressed by the quality.... clear and crisp... It wouldn't have come to my mind, that this is not the native resolution of the screen, if I would see the monitor for the 1st time, not knowing any of its specs. The best quality is rendered by the middle scaling option (obviously) and there's a slight loss when you switch up to option 4 and 5. But the visual difference is more a gut feeling and not really jumping at me. All 5 scaled option, from ym point of view are completely usable and offer a huge step up in visual quality, when I compare it to my Thunderbolt display.

I'm pretty convinced, that my Thunderbolt display is being replaced by the LG quite soon. I thought, by doing that, it might create pressure to also upgrade to a 2016 MBP (currently: 15" MID 2014), but now that I have seen the quality the screen produces even at 4k, I'll have plenty of time for a upgrade decision. (using it in clamshell mode most of the time, so Touch ID and Touch Bar would be a waste for me anyway...)

My summary
    Pro: excellent visual quality even in 4k mode, with all features (hub not verified) working in Thunderbolt 2 mode
    Con: the design is somewhat less flattering and really sticks out in an alien way in between all the Apple products in the store ;)

Sorry, didn't think of taking any pictures (maybe I manage during my next visit)... :(

8. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Great to hear this!
    Which store did you check? I'm in Berlin, they told me they would probably get it next week... have to see it with my own eyes or at least on photos. But it sure does sound very promising!!

9. defean macrumors newbie

The Apple store in the "Main Taunus Zentrum" (Frankfurt area) has them on display since last week. Probably the quickest way of getting one is to buy online with Apple store pickup option. The sales person said, that as soon as they get a new delivery (every now and then), the store pickup units are immediately blocked and the customers will be notified.

10. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

So even if it says right now, pickup in store available february 24th, it might be possible earlier?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2017 ---
    Ah, Berlin Apple store has it available too. Gonna check it out ASAP.

11. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Ok. I was at the store and took a look.

I was surprised by how good the image looks at the Mac Pro. ON FIRST GLANCE.

But of course it is just as you would expect, because it cant be any different after all. If you look real close, you can see that around all the sharpness theres a distinct blurriness on all the edges. Or what makes it worse, not on ALL the edges, just on some, because of the scaling.

The picture on my new Dell 4k is indeed crisper, on the same scaled 1440 resolution, due to the fact that it's not getting blown up to 5k of course.

Tried to snap some pictures, but the iphone couldnt capture it properly.
    I'll upload two anyways. The Mac Pro one is from the LG5k, and the other one from my Dell 2715Q 4k, both running at 1440p.

I ADVISE YOU, LOOK AT THE PIX IN FULL RES BY CLICKING THE LITTLE ARROW TOP RIGHT.
    On the pix, the mac pro looks very sharp too, you have to look very closely for example on the apple logo to see that on the LG, it's just soft all around, while on the dell you can see pixels, but overall it has a crisper experience therefore.

After all there was a retina iMac standing next to the LG and in direct comparison the LG appeared unbearable.

It's a little odd that they seem to have setup this display connected to the Mac Pro globally. They told me they'd change it soon though.

My closing opinion is: I think it represents an upgrade over the TB display if you connect it to a TB2 mac. But personally, the slight softness here an there would drive me crazy, as I would keep checking it out all the time. "Wait is this really focussed there? No it's not grrrrr"

Colors and Contrast seemed absolutely stunning though. Way nicer than on my new matte dell.

Attached Files:

12. starsaffron macrumors newbie

I just received the LG 5k today and tested it on a 13" MBP 2015 with the thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. The FaceTime camera, brightness control and audio all work as expected. The display quality is great - it looks retina to me. If you look very closely there may be some slight blurriness, but otherwise it's not noticeable. I will test it with a new MBP tonight and see how it compares.

13. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

it looks surprisingly good, that's true. Not good enough though to stare at it every day in 4k/5k scaling mode :(

14. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

The Dell pic looks very grainy to me.
    It's so hard to tell by looking at it this way - probably different in person.
    Thanks.

15. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Yea I know.. but trust me, the dell looks crisp due to this what looks like grain, while the LG looks blurry.

I just made a crazy different discovery though. The DELL 2715K 5K monitor was still available at amazon.uk. For the ridiculous prize of about 500 €.

I snapped two over there now. They should be here by mid next week if all goes well. Can't wait to get my hands on them.