Library Scanner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jasnw, Feb 2, 2016.

1. jasnw macrumors 6502

Having just fought yet another battle with OS X's version of "DLL Hell" (AKA /Library and ~/Library), I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tool that can be used to keep track of changes in these two all-important directory structures. I'm considering writing one of my own, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if there's already one out there. What I'd want is some utility I could run periodically to keep a history of things that have changed, or run before and after I install something to see what changes it made.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Try Console. It logs installations already. I'm not sure it can get so fine as to tell you that inside a pref file a value changed for say whether to autoupdate an application or something trivial like that, but it could tell you the pref changed.

But there is a LOT going on in there; keeping track is gonna be a big job depending on how detailed you wanna get.

3. jasnw thread starter macrumors 6502

Console doesn't give me what I want. Too little information on some things, and way too much chaff from others.