Libratone Debuts Battery-Free Noise Cancelling Headphones With Lightning Connector Ahead of iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just six days before Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 7 without a headphone jack, Libratone has introduced new Q Adapt in-ear noise-cancelling headphones with a Lightning connector in lieu of a standard 3.5mm audio jack.

[​IMG]

The headphones feature a battery-free design with four levels of active noise cancellation, drawing power from the iPhone or iPad they are connected to through the Lightning connector.

The pair have in-line controls for volume, playback, phone calls, and Siri, and one for the four active noise cancellation settings and talk-through.

The earbuds have a fabric-covered cable available in four colors: elegant nude, cloudy white, stormy black, and rose pink. They also are equipped with three sizes of interchangeable rubber earpieces.

Apple introduced new MFi Program specifications in June 2014 that allow third-party manufacturers to create headphones that connect to iOS devices via a Lightning cable, with features such as passthrough power and active noise cancellation.

Libratone says the Q Adapt headphones will be available in mid-September for $179 and will ship to customers at the beginning of October.

Other Lightning-equipped headphones released to date include, among others, the Philips Fidelio M2L and Fidelio NC1L.

Article Link: Libratone Debuts Battery-Free Noise Cancelling Headphones With Lightning Connector Ahead of iPhone 7

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I wonder how comfortable they are and how good the sound quality is for $179. Regardless, they look nice and are operating off Lightning which will be a plus if Apple do indeed release the next iPhone without the traditional 3.5mm jack.

3. Zirel, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

This is why we need to ditch the 3.5mm

This kind of simplicity for Active NC headphones is simply impossible for 3.5mm jack based solutions.

Also, because it's straight digital, the engineers can take full control of everything.

Currently, iPhones convert the digital sound to analog, then the ANC circuits converts the signal back to digital, does the ANC, and converts it back to analog. With a digital interface, this digital / analog / digital conversion is eliminated.

4. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

Fully agree. I think digital connection for audio is definitely the way forward. I have a headphone pair with active noice cancellation that works great with 3.5mm but they require a battery to power this and need charging after 4 hours of active use.

5. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

What about Apple standard headphones which will come with iPhone 7?

6. Zirel, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

What about to hold your horses and wait for day 7 just like everyone else?

7. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

My cheap in-ear buds from Sennheiser already have some noice-cancellation because they seal your ears with the rubber tips (like they all do). Is a 140$ premium for ANC worth it? Doubt it.

8. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Great, another way to drain my iPhone battery.

9. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

How do you charge your iPhone and listen with these at the same time? $200 for headphones that ONLY work for one device? You're joking right? Nothing is gained by removing the headphone jack. NOTHING!

10. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Blocking out sound is called noise isolation, not cancellation. You need to read up on this so that you can understand why the later is more complex and costly.

11. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

So you can't use these headphones with your Macbook, on an airplane, with your friends phone or anywhere else?! No thanks, these belong in the trash with the old outdated iPhone 7.

12. silversin macrumors member

13. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

You never know Apple may surprise us and include wireless charging. :D

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It shouldn't be using a proprietary connector though because you won't be able to use them with any non-iOS devices.

15. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Of course I understand it's a more expensive technology, but what's the difference in the real world? Is is 140$?

I've had headphones with ANC, but I could still hear people talking in the train and my earbuds can sort of do the same thing. Maybe the Bose QC35 does a better job, but I doubt these Libratone in-ear buds do.

16. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

You would need an adaptor.

Apple is going to have to go completely Bluetooth, include a lightning port in the Macs or have to switch the port again to USB C.

I think they are headed to completly wireless. No ports will be on the iPhone in the next couple of years. Wireless charging (like the AW) and Bluetooth audio. All syncing can be done over wifi.

17. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Correct.

The iphone 7 will either have wireless AirPods in the box, or no earphones at all.

18. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

$179?

Isn't that a bit much for earbuds?

Apple's $29 earbuds are pretty good. I've even had some $10-$20 sets that were good enough.

I could see something being in the $49-$79 range if it was really well-built and had premium parts. What do these offer? They mention "active noise cancellation" - but is that worth the extra $100 markup?

Full headphones would probably be better if you're worried about noise.

19. ericwn macrumors 68020

This works with current devices already so the removal is not necessary for this to happen. It might catch a wider audience, but at 179, I have my doubts.
    Personally, I'd be interested though, they seem like a nice product from the pictures.

20. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

If Apple does include lightning earbuds, one aspect that I am concerned about is I tend to break my lightning cable quite often - maybe I'm clumsy, or maybe careless. So, I'll be breaking quite a lot of earphones!

lc.jpg

21. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Simple -- Apple includes a new charging cable with a passthrough plug, to daisy-chain the headphones.

If I only use Apple products, I'd happily pay even more for a good quality set of headphones.

You'll forgive me if I don't take you at your word on the rest of it, considering you weren't able to figure out the most basic issue you had with it.

I agree, any headphone maker that doesn't build a detachable cable, especially before Apple announces their actual plans, is rolling the dice here. On the other hand, that's actually an easy fix in manufacturing. On the consumer side, I wouldn't touch these.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    I have never had that problem in 4 years of plugging and unplugging Apple's Lightning cables sometimes dozens of times a day.

But I'd suggest you buy a higher quality cable that can take your abuse. Notice these headphones have a fabric wrapped cable.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

As someone that rides the subway to work every day, yes good active noise cancellation is definitely worth it. Also very good on airplanes, but I don't fly that often. However, twice a day on a noisy subway that cancels out all the various loud noises, and all the mental health benefits that come with a more peaceful ride, is worth twice what these cost.

That said, I doubt this libratone ANC is that good. I currently use the Bose QC25 earbuds, and they are unbelievably good at cancelling noise.

Also, being that they are 3.5mm, they also work on my work computer and in an airplane.

23. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

This is great, I hope Bose follows suit, I don't like the brick in the middle of my in ear noise cancelling headphones today and would pick up a set with the iPhone 7 if available.

24. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

I prefer Apple lighting cable so that I can have them replaced when they break, thanks to AppleCare+

25. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Wow. How are you managing to break them like that? I'm still using some of the original ones that I received with the iPhone 5s and my first iPad Mini 2 and they're holding up quite well.