Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Libratone ZIPP and ZIPP MINI Gain AirPlay 2 Support via Firmware Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Libratone today announced that AirPlay 2 is available for its ZIPP and ZIPP MINI speakers through a firmware update that can be downloaded from the Libratone app.

Libratone first announced support for AirPlay 2 back in May when Apple released AirPlay 2 support in the iOS 11.4 update, but it took several months for AirPlay 2 to be implemented.

The ZIPP and the ZIPP MINI join several other speakers that have been updated with AirPlay 2 support, including several Sonos models. Sonos was one of the first companies to implement AirPlay 2 functionality.

With AirPlay 2 support, Libratone speakers will be able to be used alongside other AirPlay 2 speakers for a multi-room home audio experience.

Libratone's ZIPP speaker can be purchased from Amazon for $300, while the ZIPP MINI can be purchased from Amazon for $250.

Article Link: Libratone ZIPP and ZIPP MINI Gain AirPlay 2 Support via Firmware Update

Freuk

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Would it work with Sonos via AirPlay ? I need a speaker in the bathroom and as plugs aren’t allowed in bathrooms in the UK I thought that would a good solution !

Comment

mikevangorkom

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Would it work with Sonos via AirPlay ? I need a speaker in the bathroom and as plugs aren’t allowed in bathrooms in the UK I thought that would a good solution !

If your Sonos speakers support AirPlay 2, then yes they will be able to play together using multi-room audio.

Comment

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
For anyone interested in a great-quality wireless speaker - without the privacy issues of having Amazon or Google listening into your conversations.....

This is your AirPlay 2 supporting product

I am literally off to buy my second unit :)

Comment

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
love my libratone zip. best speaker in its price range.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.