LibreOffice dropping PPC from v4.1

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wobegong, Nov 7, 2013.

1. wobegong Guest

After VLC here's another dropout but to be honest I use Office 2008 anyway and have never been unable to work on any docs I bring home from Work but just as an FYI, I'm sure plenty of people use this.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No biggie since Microsoft have released an Open XML plugin for Office 2008 and 2004.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Bit of a shame to see another developer drop PPC; but to be honest, I haven't found anything I need out of an office suite that the 2004 version can't provide.

4. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Well, they release the source code to LibreOffice and VLC, so it would be a matter of someone that knows how to compile to compile it. Yes, I know that can be a lot harder than it sounds.

5. RedCroissant Suspended

I agree but to be honest, I didn't really need the last few updates of LibreOffice anyway since I am a very average user of productivity suites. I use 2004 for Mac and iwork '09, so I think I'm set as far as productivity suites go. I'll just be sure to hold on to the .dmg before that gets difficult to find.

6. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Don't know but I never liked LibreOffice, very ugly and not stable. For mac I use Office 2008, for Windows I use Kingsoft Free Office.

7. Gökhan, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

Gökhan Guest

Istanbul
    I use iWork 09' for my PPC Mac. It's I think best Office Suite for PPC & also supports 10.4.11 as well.

8. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

With iWork 09 available for PowerPC I can't think of a good reason to use LibreOffice. While I do like it I don't think it's better for most users than iWork

9. miocinq macrumors newbie

10. tampasteve macrumors 6502

I agree with several other posters, iWork does pretty much everything I need on a PPC for an office suite. I do have LibreOffice installed on my machines, but I rarely use it. iWork 09 just works so well for almost any use I need it for.

11. harnadem macrumors newbie

One aspect of Libreoffice that I like (and why I keep using it) is its cross platform applicability. I have a mixture of OS X, Windows XP, Windows 8 and Linux computers, and can easily work on my libreoffice docs on any of them.