License of Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Henry Li, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Henry Li macrumors member

As I update to Lion, does it mean my license of snow leopard is now available again to other mac?

2. basher macrumors 6502

basher

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It looks like your 10.6 licence is still "tied" to the same computer even after you've upgraded to 10.7, so I don't believe that you're able to use the same copy on a different machine. However, I'm not an expert and someone else may be able to chime in with a better response.

4. Henry Li thread starter macrumors member

I think it is really a complicated question. But, as we are using a new OS, then snow leopard's license is not currently being used, right?

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I also believe that the way the license is worded indicates that you need to keep your 10.6 license, that in essence they view the Lion license as an upgrade to the Snow Leopard license. This is much the same as with many software licenses, for instance with Photoshop if you bought CS4 and then an *upgrade* to CS5 you are not entitled to sell or re-assign your CS4 license....oh yeah!

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

However, if you were to buy a new Mac, it comes with the latest OS of course. Say you're also sending your old Mac to the garbage dump, 'cause it's worn out and failing. In that case, I think you'd be free to transfer your old disc to another Mac. Wouldn't you?