license on applications downloaded from apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gohoomoa, Sep 8, 2010.

1. gohoomoa macrumors newbie

gohoomoa

Hi i have been searching for this but with no luck.
    i am wondering do all applications purchased from apple store for my iphone have lifetime subscription? or does it extend to a period of time or certain device?
    i have purchased many applications like beejive, ebuddy pro and some other softwares and games, i wonder if i upgraded my device in the future or after one year there is an upgrade will it ever tells me my membership is expired and i have to pay again? does anyone know?
    thanks

2. shandyman Suspended

nope, one for all, i have all the apps i bought on my 3G running on my 4

3. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

The original purchase transfers device to device, as mentioned above. You are also allowed per iTunes agreement to have up to 5 devices tied to an iTunes account, and that allows you to purchase an app once, and then have that app sync on 5 devices (and transfer that forward as you get a new device). Very nice in a family plan situation (we have 3 iPhones doing this).

However, some apps have in app purchases that tie the purchase down even further to a specific iPhone (IMEI or whatever). TextNow is an example. For the first year, we only had to purchase the app, and shared it across 3 devices. However, when it expired (this past April) we had to purchase for each iPhone. PITA. Won't be renewing it....

4. gohoomoa thread starter macrumors newbie

gohoomoa

thanks to both of ya,
    m3 one more question,
    after the fifth device does that mean i have to create another/email account in order to sync my 6th iphone? will i be able to delete my old iphones and register new phone on the same email account? of course this is far future but it's good to know :)

5. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I don't know the techie details. I'm personally on my 5th iPhone (via replacements and purchases) but it's all working. It's somehow kept track of that. Maybe something to do with the restore/activation process via your phone #.

Your iTunes account is tied to a credit card & email address. We have 3 computers each with it's own iPhone syncing to it, but all using one iTunes account. It's all immediate family, so sharing the account/payment info is within the iTunes agreement parameters.

6. bmwman4life11 macrumors member

umm are you sure you can only have 5? ive had atleast 5 iphones mysef plus my mom has one and my dad has 2 and my brother has an iphone and an ipod touch. thats over the 5 "limit" that you say and we dont have problems

7. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

The 5 limit is something that is supposedly in the iTunes account agreement (both for the customer, and for the developer). I've not read it the agreement....I do remember that I just had to 're-accept' it a few days ago, but on the iPhone, it was like 62 pages????

Did you read it? :eek::D

8. firewood macrumors 604

Many apps have a EULA posted at the bottom of their iTunes page. In addition, the iTunes store itself has a Terms and Conditions