License question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Dec 20, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Say one releases an app that is free/donationware and states in the license that you are free to distribute it as quoted below

Now, i check the program home page and it is no longer freeware but demo with 30 days before you must buy it to use it

The versions of the program are identical as in Senuti .50.2. Meaning they must have changed the license terms at some point

Do I have a right to give away this software as stated by the license i have with the program even though you cant download the same version of this software from the developer's site and use it for free?

Program in question currently on developer's site
    http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

the attached photo is the program i have with the free license pictured in the "about"

Attached Files:

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

So you're wondering which license is applicable to your "old" version of Senuti; the one contained in the app, or the revised one on their site.

I would imagine that the one contained in the app is the one that applies in this case. I'm sure we won't be seeing a free version of 0.50.3, so I think it's OK to continue distributing this one since it will probably be outdated soon.

Too bad to see this one go. Hands down the best iPod-to-computer app out there.

edit: I don't actually see a difference between the old and new licenses. They both still say that it's free software.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

so i can freely distribute it to those who want it? even if it means undercutting the developers hypothetically? seems not right in a sense

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

The license and the app seem to be identical to the ones I downloaded months ago. The only thing that seems to have changed is the site. My build of 0.50.2 is identical to the one I just downloaded, even down to the serial entry field. I see no reason not to distribute the app since it's the exact same one as is available for download on their site.