Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Hi,
I want to use my LCD tv as a monitor and run my powerbook with the lid closed. The instructions explain how to do this with USB devices but i would like to know if it'll work with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I have yet to buy the keyboard and it would be conditional on this

All input welcome. Thanks

eyebeaz

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2006
Yes it should work. I have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and run my Macbook in clamshell mode, with an external display. The powerbook doesn't have the same overheating issues as the iBooks correct?

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Thanks to the two of you. I might pick up a bluetooth keybaord tomorrow.

Was pretty impressed with the output on my samsung, and the fact that like so many things apple - it just worked!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I've used this functionality successfully since the original Bluetooth-equipped 12" PowerBook G4 came out. And on my MacBook Pro. Works perfectly. (On MacBooks and MacBook Pros, it also works with just the Apple Remote. I use my MacBook Pro plugged in to my TV and the Apple Remote all the time to use Front Row.)

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
I've used this functionality successfully since the original Bluetooth-equipped 12" PowerBook G4 came out. And on my MacBook Pro. Works perfectly. (On MacBooks and MacBook Pros, it also works with just the Apple Remote. I use my MacBook Pro plugged in to my TV and the Apple Remote all the time to use Front Row.)

That's really re-assuring. Have wanted an excuse to buy a new apple product for a while. This'll do til christmas when the iphone reaches our shores.

Thanks

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
You can use InsomniaX/Sleepless to enable clamshell mode with out actually using external devices if anyone cares :p

StephenF83

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Hi,
I have a new MacBook a MiniDVI to DVI, connected to a DVI to HDMI, to a Samsung LCD 46" display, I want to run clamshell but when i have everything set up i close my MacBook and the screen flashes off, then it flashes back on, with the resolution slightly altered and look like its going to work, then it turns off, if i move my bluetooth mouse or touch my keyboard it comes back on and then repeats. any ideas?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Hi,
I have a new MacBook a MiniDVI to DVI, connected to a DVI to HDMI, to a Samsung LCD 46" display, I want to run clamshell but when i have everything set up i close my MacBook and the screen flashes off, then it flashes back on, with the resolution slightly altered and look like its going to work, then it turns off, if i move my bluetooth mouse or touch my keyboard it comes back on and then repeats. any ideas?

First, have all cables disconnected.

Second, shut the lid. (So it goes to sleep.)

Third, plug in the cables (power, display.)

Fourth, click the mouse or press a keyboard button; the computer wakes up, and will display only to the external display. (It may take a few seconds for it to figure out where it should be displaying, give it a moment.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.