Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorkp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
The lid doesn't close all of the time. Sometimes I have to press "firmly" (makes me a teensy bit unfomfortable) to get it to latch. I think it's worse when the computer is warmer. Is this something that I should have checked out?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
This happens to me too sometimes. Just pressing a little harder fixes it. What's more annoying to me is that within a few weeks of getting my PB last year, the finish on the latch release button started to wear off. It looks really ugly. It's really the only physical defect on my PowerBook, so it bugs me.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
My dad has this happen with his 12" as well. After using it for a while it got better and he never had to take it in. But I suggest if it's bad enough you give it a run to the apple store, I am sure they can fix it up, or if you care that much, send it in.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I had a similar problem with one of my older 12" powerbooks as well. It never really got any worse so I never did anything about it.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
the 12" pb i bought for my girlfriend had this problem. 3 days later, i took it back to the apple store and complained. at first, they said it was normal. then i went to the front of the store where they had a 12" pb for display, and showed them that one was closing normal. they hesitated at first to replace mine, but they finally did replace it. after the exchange, i opened the new one in the store to make sure it closed without any problems. it works great. =)

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
lorkp said:
The lid doesn't close all of the time.

I get all this on my 12" iBook sometimes, it tends to come and go...... I've lived with it but am now thinking maybe I should look into it some more.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
My older powerbook (in sig) does that with the latch as well, takes a few times of pushing it down for it to catch.

My new powerbook (in sig) has yet to have this problem, but if it does i go down to apple and demand new computer fully loaded :p

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
mine has started to do that this week. sometimes i have to try it twice and then it catches properly.

i've also noticed it is either not going to sleep or it is taking several seconds longer than normal to go into sleep mode.

am hoping a restart will cure the sleep issue but can't be bothered to try this just yet

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Mine started doing that & initially it wasn't so bad. I just had to push down a little more firmly to make it close.
Eventually, that progressed to where I had to push it down 3-4 times in order to get it to actually close. Also, there were times when I thought it was closed and after a short time (a few minutes), it would pop open again.

I eventually took it to the Apple Store & it was sent in for repairs.
They ended up replacing the entire display! Thankfully, all covered under warranty.

I would say if you're having this problem & it isn't too much hassle to do, consider taking it to your local Apple Store for them to look at. Of course, you'll have to be prepared to be without your baby for a week or so. :(

Don't forget to back up your data if you do take it in!!!

Good luck!

al3ss

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2005
Switzerland
Here's the solution

lorkp said:
The lid doesn't close all of the time. Sometimes I have to press "firmly" (makes me a teensy bit unfomfortable) to get it to latch. I think it's worse when the computer is warmer. Is this something that I should have checked out?
I've had the same problem on my 15 inch powerbok: after about 1 year i always had to press the open lid button to lock it closed.
I did this and it now works fine: lid open, use a small screwdriver to take out the hook that's above the screen, and gently bend it up. Do this until the lid locks when closing it - but be careful, this worked for me but i wouldn't want you to break yours...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.