Lid DOWN Is Crazy!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphone3048, Dec 18, 2010.

1. iphone3048 macrumors member

Is there a way to to STOP the mac from going to sleep when the lid is closed????
    I REALLY hate this, This should be an option for US to choose if we want to do that or not. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I hope so!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Why would you want it not to go to sleep when you close it, unless you're using an external monitor?

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. iphone3048 thread starter macrumors member

I like to stream music and would like to just close the lid. Other things as well like when watching a movie in the room and I want to take it to my office (toilet) I dont want to carry it with an open lid. If I close it it stops everything. It's stupid that I can't do this. i will try the app you guys mentioned, Thanks!

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

*saves thread*

I've heard good things about InsomniaX.

6. alust2013, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010

alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotcha, makes sense.

7. QuarterSwede, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  8. snberk103 macrumors 603

For 99.9% of the world, closing the lid means " I am done, thanks, you can take a break now. " So don't get so shirty if it doesn't work for your particular case. You might just try plugging a USB mouse into it (I think before you close the lid) and then when it sleeps click the mouse. With an external display connected it will wake up and enter what's commonly called clamshell mode. I know it works with the display, but I don't know what happens without.

sparky.....

sorry - couldn't resist.

9. iphone3048 thread starter macrumors member

REALLY? Wow, I had no idea 99% of the people viewed it that way here in mac world. PC world we closed the lid and it did what WE wanted it to do.

Thanks for the apps guys, I ended up using caffeine. Very happy with that app so far!

10. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

CNTRL-Shift-Eject is a handy move too (turns off the display).

11. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

+1 for both things:

a. RE: snberk - people who make up stupid statistics to (falsely) validate what they are saying are not to be trusted. In PC world there are options to make closing the lid do what you want (e.g. - hibernate, sleep, nothing), apparently missing from mac.

b. Caffeine is an awesome app; I use it frequently to keep my mbp from dozing off (lid open or closed).

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yep, I asked every single person - and got that result..... :)

And no, it's not consistent in PC World - my wife has a laptop from work (that she is trying to avoid using) that goes to sleep when you close the lid. That is if it doesn't shut off entirely. We can't figure out the pattern, and I don't know Windows well enough (or care enough) to try and figure it out).

13. toxic macrumors 68000

every Windows laptop has the ability to do nothing when the lid is closed. it's a revolutionary feature that's been there since Windows '98.

14. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

never knew thanks

15. STxMacUser macrumors member

STxMacUser

Hmmm....

Mental Note: Build a small table for MacBook Pro to place in close proximity to the throne. :D

16. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

+1