Lid down with macbook to external display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndyK, Feb 18, 2008.

1. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Basically, I've been able to get my macbook connected to an external display with no problems and have it output to a screen.

What I can't figure out, is how to have it -just- display on the external screen and not use the second screen as an extension of the desktop, as in like a dual screen set up. Closing the lid down just causes it to go to sleep.

If anyone knows how to get this to work I'd much appreciate advice / pointers in the right direction.

Much love,

2. atthecross macrumors 6502

when you close the lid it sleeps, but if you hit the keyboard or move the mouse it will wake up.

3. AndyK thread starter Contributor

AndyK

So it's not possible for me to set a film playing, with the lid up, transfer the signal to the external then pop the lid down?

I need to have an external mouse / keyboard plugged in for it to work?

4. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

This is something I just figured out yesterday too.
    Basically, you need to put your mac to sleep by closing the lid. Get an external mouse and/or keyboard to wake up your mac and it will only display on your external monitor. If your mac is off, you'd have to open the lid, power it on and quickly close the lid.

(oh and your display has to be set to "clone" mode").

5. 119576 Guest

As per usual. InsomniaX is your friend.

Install it, and load it up. It will then prevent your mac from sleeping.

So you can set your film playing, then close the lid, and the film will continue to play.

After that, you can just "detect displays".

6. AndyK thread starter Contributor

AndyK

7. AndyK thread starter Contributor

AndyK

Just downloaded and installed, works perfectly, thanks a lot :)

8. santiv macrumors newbie

Apologize if this is a rehash, but I combed the fourms for an answer.

But would the above technique discolor the screen eventually. Wouldn't the heat escape from the speakers on a mbp with the closed lid.

What would be safest way in the long run to have an external monitor hookup and put the mbp to sleep.

Thanks.

9. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

And further to that is there any reason you can't leave the lid slightly open and thereby possibly lessen any heating issues?

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Preliminaries:
    This topic has been beaten to death before.
    The manual states how to operate your macbook (pro) in clamshell mode.

That said, the construction of the Mbp is such that ventallation is acheived through having the vent blow outward from the back. The heat emitted from the keyboard is negligible in its amount and won't hinder the operation of your machine nor cause damage. You can leave the lid open if you wish but it isn't advisable.

11. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

Thanks I'm new to macbook pro and I've read all the threads I could find on this and now yours is the first post I've seen to say it's not advisable to leave the lid slightly open. Would you mind saying why?

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sorry let me clarify. It isn't advisable (by me) because its not necessary (per apple) and may actually restrict airflow from the back although I can't substantiate this claim :D

This is the KB article from Apple on the topic :

Now, if there were any serious side effects from doing this sort of computing, apple would have to specifically indicate it, lest there be frivolous class actions brought against them.