lid pops open when MBA held with hinge down

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sebseb81, May 3, 2012.

1. sebseb81 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I wanted to figure out if this is a problem or not. I recently noticed that when I walk around with the MBA (late 2010) closed and carry it with the hinge side down (i.e. the most obvious carrying position), the lid tends to pop open maybe half an inch or so. This only happens when the MBA is completely vertical (i.e. a 90 degree angle from the floor) or within a few degrees of that.

Can anyone tell me if this is standard behavior that I just started noticing, or if this is a problem that has just arisen?

Thanks,

Sebastian

2. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Someone else has a similar issue when using the BookArc stand. I carry my 2011 13" hinge down and haven't had a problem yet. Perhaps the hinge is adjustable (by Apple) and they can tighten it. I remember the earlier MBP models having two screws you could turn to adjust the tension yourself. Perhaps inside the MBA is a similar hinge design.

3. EthanMiller macrumors member

This is the case with mine as well. When the machine is closed, the hinge still has some tension trying to open the case. Normally, the magnet and gravity are enough to counteract that, but when gravity is removed as a factor, it tends to pop open a bit.

If it bugs you, talk to Apple.

4. sebseb81 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. This is rather annoying but I suppose not too much of a problem all things considered. AppleCare has run out in any case, so I'm not sure what good talking to Apple will do.

Anyone know where the magnets are located on the lid or on the body of the MBA?

5. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I'm sure one of the iFixIt articles would be of some help

11 inch
    13 inch

6. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I think this is somewhat common with Apple's magnetic latches. My work laptop (13" Unibody Macbook) does the same thing. Freaked me out at first.