Life After Rock Your Phone = Much Better!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by scirica, Mar 23, 2010.

1. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

History: I had been running both Cydia and RYP (Rock App) for quite a long time since I installed MyWi last year. While I love MyWi, I was frequently seeing Rock conflicts come up when I started my phone or made other changes via Cydia and it would throw my phone into "restart or go to safe mode" screen.

Yesterday: I updated from 3.1.2 pwn'd to 3.1.3 pwn'd and found out there is a MyWi install in Cydia that does not require Rock. Therefore I no longer needed Rock as that was the only app I was previously dependent on Rock for (used tLert, but since have upgraded to iRealSMS).

I have to say that I am seeing quite a bit of performance improvement with RYP out of the picture. I'm not sure if it's due to the way they branched into the mobile substrate code, but I do know they have there own MS code that gets installed. Response across the board is snappier and my available memory is staying much higher than it had been lately.

No conflicts between RYP and Cydia apps means a much smoother, pleasant iPhone user experience.

Moral of the story...there is life after Rock if you are only using it for MyWi. Uninstall Rock and go with the Rock-free version of MyWi!

Oh, I will miss using Rock for backups, but I understand that Cydia has a good backup program that I can try out.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

3. scirica thread starter macrumors 68020

scirica

Not at all The new version was able to validate that I had a license by entering my Rock ID. It is not a cracked app, just another way to download it. :D

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Nice! I've had it for a few weeks now, but got it when it was available w/o RYP. I love that they gave that option, otherwise I never would have gotten MyWi

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

RYP is the reason I restored my phone the only time I was ever forced to, and was the reason I refused to purchase MyWi. I wouldn't have Rock on my phone for anything.

6. dacapo macrumors 6502

Same here! MyWi without Rock is awesome. It's been a lifesaver a few times already; well, not quite, but you get the point! :D

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lifesaver is the way to put it! Now my fiance can use her 2G (as an iPod Touch) by using my MyWi signal as opposed to constantly asking for my phone to update her twitter or whatever she does:)

8. scirica thread starter macrumors 68020

scirica

I completely agree...too many conflicts. Glad to be out from under it! I still like MyWi though!

9. jwlussow@mac.co macrumors newbie

When you install MyWi from Cydia, Cydia installs Rock App. What's the difference? Rock App and all the extensions are running either way. I uninstalled Rock App and installed MyWi through Cydia but Rock reappeared. The notes in Cydia state that Rock will be installed if you install MyWi. There is no difference between the installs and Rock is required for MyWi to work.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you have a MyWi license, use Cydia to install MyWi(NoRock), then remove RockApp and Rock Extensions.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

MyWi (No Rock) doesn't install Rock. And Rock is most assuredly not required for MyWi to work.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He's in for a surprise today. :)

13. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Is the mywi (no rock) download working? I tried it last night and it kept failing so I was forced to go the rock route. ugh.

14. moebius macrumors member

The only reason why I have Rock, is because the app offers a good and fast way to restore your JB applications in case on a re-JB, like winterboard,backgrounder,etc.

AppBackup from Cydia only keeps the Apple Store apps, if someone knows of a good way to have a handy backup of all the JB apps, it would be nice to know.

Thanks

15. scirica thread starter macrumors 68020

scirica

The app most of us use to restore Cydia apps is PkgBackup..

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yup, same here. Tried it once and it made my phone nearly unusable. Had to restore and I'll never touch it again.

It's a shame because otherwise I'd buy MyWi.

17. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Good Info.
    To think iw as considering using Rock because of cydias waiting time. Ill have patience.

18. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I just found an old thread about deleting RYP and MyWi via SSH and still keeping your tethering.

AWESOME :D

19. martinmartin macrumors 6502

Is it possible to uninstall rock from the phone and totally get rid of it without restoring? Just uninstall via cydia?

20. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

I have Rock & Cydia installed from blackrain. I dont have any trouble using it except sometimes I do get the safe mode thing. I went into Cydia and un-installed Rock will that be all I need to get rid of Rock?

Thanks.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You can check and see if Rock Extensions needs removed (or it may have been auto removed when you uninstalled Rock)