Life award for Toy Story creator

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Oct 22, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

:) The man's a genius!

2. djellison macrumors 68020

About time. The man is a genius.

I consider the first 20 minutes or so of Wall-E to be the most beautiful 20 minutes of modern cinema. Utterly spectacular in every way - and the fact that it is entire CG is irrelevant.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Wasn't it just? No talking at all. Brilliant!

Somebody prop up a little roof for John Lasseter here. :)

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Wholeheartedly agree. While I've just seen Up, and that's a lovely movie in its own right, I thought Wall-E was just special.

Charming, beautiful and simple; a wonderful study (and mimicry) of human behaviour. For me, it's movies like that which make Pixar special.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The man is a master of storytelling. This award from the Producers Guild, though, probably is recognizing the fact that he is the most powerful man behind animation today.
    As head of the animation department at Disney, not only does his creative advice extend to the Disney theme parks, but he holds the unique power of greenlight (approval of financing) - something usually reserved for executives.
    For any animation filmmaker, Lasseter is the number one man in the industry who one would want to befriend.

irmongoose

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I agree. Wall•E was a very good movie from start to finish: The message, the production, etc.

I also like that Lasseter doesn't necessarily just go with what's popular; I realize Cars was a huge commercial success, but at the same time it was almost two hours long, and in some parts very, very slow-going. All the same, Lasseter went with it despite such drawbacks because he was making a point.

I don't particularly like the movie, but in the purely nostalgic sense I like the point it was making.

Well deserved.

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

My sister isn't very into animation movies. I wanted her to come with me to see Wall-E but she really didn't want to. I finally convinced her by promising to pay for her ticket if she didn't like it.

5 minutes into the movie and she looks at me and says "I'm convinced". Then she made me promise I would get her the DVD for her birthday. :p

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I love his movies.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Very cool - he deserves it!

My wife spent a bunch of time with him last weekend (yeah yeah, no jokes!), and said he was a really friendly, down to earth guy.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Lasseter personally directed and co-wrote the story for A Bug's Life, Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and Cars.

He was the executive producer on Findiing Nemo, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up.

If you haven't see "The Pixar Story" which is included on the Wall-E DVD and available from iTunes Store, it's well worth it. It explains how Lasseter pretty much saved Toy Story 2 from Disney. Also there are good bits in there about Steve Jobs buying the company and playing hardball with Michael Eisner. I believe it also explains Lasseter's emotional attachment to Disney (One of his first jobs was on the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland, etc), but that may be one of the Pixar books I'm thinking of.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I think I'm in love with the man just a little bit.

13. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Love shared.

14. tabasco70 macrumors 6502