Life long android user converted,quick question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darryjr, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Darryjr, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

Darryjr macrumors regular

Darryjr

I am a life android user. Just switched to the 6 plus,bit of a learning curve,but enjoying it. My question is,phone came with 8.1.2, It's telling me there is an update to 8.1.3. Am I better off staying on one I'm on or will the upgrade actually be beneficial?I am sorry if this has been asked,I couldn't find anything on it. Thank you

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Some folks have reported reduced battery life on iOS 8.1.3, but I haven't noticed a difference on my 6+.

iOS 8.1.2 is jailbreakable and 8.1.3 isn't, if you're into that sort of thing.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

In general, updates improve things. There have been a few cases where it's made things worse, but overall you get improvement.

That said, is jailbreaking anything you've considered? The Android semi-equivalent would be rooting.

I ask because 8.1.2 is jailbreakable. 8.1.3 is not - yet.

If jailbreaking is something you have considered then updating would remove that as a possibility right now and you'd have to remain stock.

If jailbreaking is not something you've considered or wish to do then by all means update.

4. Darryjr thread starter macrumors regular

Darryjr

Not really that interested in jailbreaking. It's just that every time I used to update my androids I had loads of problems. Just recently updated my m8 to lollipop and it crippled my phone. Since I have no knowledge of how iOS updates go,I'm just a bit leary after my android updates. They always seemed to hurt something that was working fine prior to update.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The above advice about jailbreaking is good, but if you decide that doesn't matter to you then here's how to interpret iOS numbers:

8 = Big, yearly updates. Exciting and fun but often best to wait a few days (or maybe weeks) before you update to see what's wrong with it. (There's always something, and even if there isn't not all of your favorite apps are updated yet.)

1 = The big sort-of-montly updates. (For the first few months anyway.) Adds some minor features and fixes bugs. Best to wait a day to make sure there's no nasty surprises on the forum, but generally you'll update to these fairly quickly. Some people refuse to update to a new OS until it reaches x.1

3 = Just bug fixes. Other than jailbreaking I can't think of a single time it's ever been a problem to update to one of these. When they come out I simply wait until I know no one will be calling me and that's about my only criteria

PS - EVERY single update Apple makes will result in threads claiming it makes battery life worse. If you add up all of the updates since 2007 I'm guessing those people have 2-minute batteries these days.

6. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have taken all the updates since I got the Plus. Never an issue. Subtle improvements along the way. Just backup thru iTunes to Computer and iPhone. Good idea to put your photos and music on PC also. Anything from Store will be still available afaik.

I have enjoyed the Plus immensely since giving up the S4. :)

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You should be fine to update then. By this point Apple has worked out the major bugs and patched showstoppers.

As I mentioned earlier, in general the updates are beneficial, especially once you start getting into the higher point releases.

8. Darryjr thread starter macrumors regular

Darryjr

Thank you guys for your input,I updated and all seems great