Life of a soldered SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by toke lahti, Dec 11, 2016.

?

Has your 2012 mba ssd died?

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  1. toke lahti, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016

toke lahti macrumors 68000

Just wondering if I should buy a 2012 11" mba.
    I want to use computers years, not to find a replacement for every now and then and I'd like to pass old ones to my family.

Any statistics anywhere about lifetime of a "modern"(=throwaway) macbook?

EDIT: Just checked that ssd's are soldered only in new mbp and mb.
    So, this poll's question is about how long the original ssd usually lasts?

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Glad you corrected yourself. The MBA does not have a soldered SSD. I also have a 2012 11". My SSD has been replaced with a Transcend unit. Not because it wore out, but because it was too small. Maybe others can join in here. But, the only SSD failures that I have heard about involve OWC units. Right now, I have a total of 7 SSDs. 5 are in my cMP, one is in my MBA the the other (the OEM SSD from the MBA) is in an external enclosure. All are various ages (all five in the cMP are Samsung units) are all are working as they should.

Lou

3. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

I've had one dead owc ssd.
    Have you seen any charts about their return rate?
    I've always thought owc is quality brand, but is the ssd their only exception?
    How's their battery, have bought two of those...?

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I got a Thunderbolt 2 dock from OWC but could not get it to work reliably on my 2013 MBA. I had video problems using several different monitors and cables on both MiniDisplayPort and HDMI. Ended up returning it, but assumed there was just some compatibility issue with my older machine.

More recently, I got a used 2012 quad Mini server from OWC (MacSales.com). Very happy with that purchase, machine looked like new, works perfectly and had a 14 day return/exchange period plus 90 day warranty.

No experience with their other products, but when purchasing some external SSD's recently I decided go with the Samsung T3 instead of OWC.

5. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

6. ElCani macrumors member

Had a 256GB Samsung SSD die this year on a 2012 13 inch Air. Replaced it like for like with a used one off eBay.